My current role as senior lecturer in marketing involves teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses, supervising research students, undertaking independent and collaborative research work, and engaging with other relevant activities.
Teaching and supervision
- Aspects of Marketing
- Contemporary Consumer Behavior
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Understanding Consumer Behavior
From an academic lecturer perspective, I have experience of teaching different specialized courses in marketing both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The specialized marketing courses that I teach include Consumer Behavior, Digital Marketing, Marketing Research, Marketing Management, Marketing Communications, and Principles of Marketing. I am experienced in and comfortable with alternative teaching modes that include face to face, online, and blended mode.
- MSc Dissertation
- PhD Supervision
My particular research interests relate to green marketing, environmentally sustainable consumer behavior, online consumption behavior, and measurement & scale development. Apart from mainstream marketing, I have also interests in environmental sustainability and climate change. The majority of my current research applies survey tools and cross-sectional data to understand pro-environmental consumption decision and online shopping behaviour and its psychological underpinnings. My recent research outputs have been published in various relevant refereed journals including Journal of Strategic Marketing, Journal of Cleaner Production, International Journal of Consumer Studies, Journal of Marketing Communications, Business Strategy and the Environment, Journal of Internet Commerce, and Sustainability. I am a registered reviewer for Academy of Marketing, Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Journal of Cleaner Production, Journal of Strategic Marketing, Energy Efficiency, and SAGE Open.
The academic impact of my current research primarily relates to advancing the environmentally sustainable consumer behavior literature. Major theoretical contributions of my recent research relate to revealing the role of environmental labeling, relevant knowledge and information credibility in reconciling the long-standing attitude-behaviour gap in pro-environmental consumer behavior. Practically these findings affirm the importance of educating consumers about eco-labeling and communicating the credibility of eco-labelled information to the consumers to induce environmentally informed purchase decision, mitigating attitude-behaviour gap. Contrary to many past studies focusing on rational green appeal, my recent research outputs also argue that integrating consumers’ emotional affinity toward nature and moral values in green marketing communications can enhance consumers’ moral obligation to be environmentally more responsible in consumption behaviour. The findings have significant practical marketing implications relating to designing the product package and framing the communication message for green products. In emerging country context, the novelty of another study relates to the discovery of new addition to the literature on cultural individualism and collectivism, highlighting that the distinction between individualism and collectivism is fading among young urban educated consumer segment. The findings also have significant policy implications suggesting the marketers to move away from the traditional way of managing marketing activities targeted exclusively on the collectivistic nature of cultures like India. The theoretical impact of my recent research is also being reflected in increasing citations of my relevant research outputs.
Taufique KMR, Nielsen KS, Dietz T, Shwom R, Stern PC, Vandenbergh MP, 'Revisiting the promise of carbon labelling'
Nature Climate Change 12 (2022) pp.132-140
ISSN: 1758-678X eISSN: 1758-6798Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Sabbir MM, Taufique KMR, Nomi M, 'Telemedicine acceptance during the COVID-19 pandemic: User satisfaction and strategic healthcare marketing considerations'
Health Marketing Quarterly 38 (2/3) (2021) pp.168-187
ISSN: 0735-9683 eISSN: 1545-0864Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Sabbir MM, Taufique KMR, 'Sustainable employee green behavior in the workplace: Integrating cognitive and non-cognitive factors in corporate environmental policy'
Business Strategy and the Environment 31 (2021) pp.110-128
ISSN: 0964-4733 eISSN: 1099-0836Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Taufique KMR, Shahidul I, 'Green marketing in emerging Asia: antecedents of green consumer behaviour among younger millennials'
Journal of Asia Business Studies 15 (4) (2021) pp.541-558
ISSN: 1558-7894 eISSN: 1559-2243Abstract Published here
Sarah FH, Goi CL, Chieng F, Taufique KMR, 'Examining the influence of atmospheric cues on online impulse buying Behavior across product categories: Insights from an emerging e-market'
Journal of Internet Commerce 20 (1) (2021) pp.25-45
ISSN: 1533-2861 eISSN: 1533-287XAbstract Published here
Taufique KMR, 'Integrating environmental values and emotion in green marketing communications inducing sustainable consumer behaviour'
Journal of Marketing Communications 28 (3) (2020) pp.272-290
ISSN: 1352-7266 eISSN: 1466-4445Abstract Published here
Taufique KMR, Polonsky MJ, Vocino A, Siwar C, 'Measuring consumer understanding and perception of eco-labeling: Item selection and scale validation'
International Journal of Consumer Studies 43 (3) (2019) pp.298-314
ISSN: 1470-6423 eISSN: 1470-6431Abstract Published here
Taufique KMR, Sridhar V , 'A fresh look at understanding green consumer behavior among young urban Indian consumers through the lens of Theory of Planned Behavior'
Journal of Cleaner Production 183 (2018)
ISSN: 0959-6526 eISSN: 1879-1786Abstract Published here
Taufique KMR, Vocino A, Polonsky MJ , 'The influence of eco-label knowledge and trust on pro-environmental consumer behaviour in an emerging market.'
Journal of Strategic Marketing 25 (7) (2017) pp.511-529
ISSN: 0965-254X eISSN: 1466-4488Abstract Published here
Alam MM, Taufique KMR, Sayal A, 'Do climate changes lead to income inequality? Empirical study on the farming community in Malaysia'
International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development 16 (1) (2016)
ISSN: 1474-6778 eISSN: 1478-7466Abstract Published here
Taufique KMR, Siwar C, Chamhuri N, Sarah FH, 'Integrating general environmental knowledge and eco-label knowledge in understanding ecologically conscious consumer behavior'
Procedia Economics and Finance 37 (2016) pp.39-45
ISSN: 2212-5671 eISSN: 2212-5671Abstract Published here
Taufique KMR, Siwar C, Talib BBA, Chamhuri N, 'Modeling consumers’ environmental responsibility and understanding of eco-labels: A conceptual framework for empirical research in Malaysia'
International Journal of Green Economics 8 (3/4) (2015) pp.199-225
ISSN: 1744-9928 eISSN: 1744-9936Abstract Published here
Taufique KMR, Siwar C, Sarah FH, 'Green food consumption in Malaysia: A review of consumers’ buying motives'
International Food Research Journal 22 (1) (2015) pp.131-138
ISSN: 2231-7546 eISSN: 1985-4668Abstract Published here
Taufique KMR, Siwar C, Talib B, Sarah FH , 'Synthesis of the constructs for modeling consumers’ understanding and perception of eco-labels'
Sustainability 6 (4) (2014)
ISSN: 2071-1050 eISSN: 2071-1050Abstract Published here
Taufique KMR, Shahriar FM, 'Adoption of Online Social Media Innovation: Who’s Inside the Spectrum?'
International Journal of E-Business Research 9 (1) (2013)
ISSN: 1548-1131 eISSN: 1548-114XAbstract Published here
Taufique KMR, Shahriar FM, 'Online Social Media as a Driver of Buzz Marketing: Who’s Riding?'
International Journal of Online Marketing 1 (2) (2011)
ISSN: 2156-1753 eISSN: 2156-1745Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- ACIM – Associate of Chartered Institute of Marketing
- MAM – Member of Academy of Marketing
- Member, AdvanceHE Connect, the UK
- Life Member, Responsible Research and Innovation Networked Globally (RRING)
- Life Member, Indian Society for Ecological Economics
- Member, British Academy of Management
- Taufique, K.M.R. & Banwait, K. (2022). “Promoting sustainable consumer behavior: A call for addressing dark sides of unsustainable food consumption”, presented at ‘British Academy of Management Conference, BAM-2022, 1-2 September 2022, Alliance Manchester Business School, UK.
- Taufique, K.M.R. (2022). “Consumer confusion with profusion of environmental labelling: Need for an alternative climate labelling to reduce carbon footprint?” presented at The 10th Annual International Conference on Sustainable Development, ICSD-2022, organized by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, 19-20 September 2022.
- Taufique, K.M.R. (2021). “The future of digital marketing: How would Artificial Intelligence change the directions?”, presented at ‘International Management Conference, IMC-2021, 27-28 February 2021, India.
- Taufique, K.M.R. (2020). “Sustainable food for better environment: Repositioning carbon labeling to reduce consumption related carbon footprints”, presented at ‘International Conference on Sustainability an Equity: Digital Society’, 23-25 November 2020, India. [SCOPUS indexed].
- Taufique, K.M.R. (2019). “A review of the use of Technology Acceptance Model in Understanding online shopping behavior”, presented at ‘Marketing & Organization Research Conference’, 11-12 October 2019, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Taufique, K.M.R., Adeyinka-Ojo, S., & Abdullah, S. K. (2018). “The Scope and Role of Eco-Labeling to Promote Environmentally Sustainable Consumption Behavior: A Literature Review”, presented at ‘8th International Borneo Business Conference 2018’, 04–05 October 2018, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Taufique, K.M.R. & Vaithianathan, S. (2017). “Predicting Ecologically Conscious Consumer Behaviour among Indian Urban Consumers: An Exploratory Study”, presented at ‘Annual Conference of Emerging Market Conference Board’, 05–07 January 2017, IIM Lucknow (Noida Campus), India.
- Taufique, K.M.R., Siwar, C. & Chamhuri, N. (2016). “Factors Affecting Consumers’ Perception of Eco-Labels: Evidence from Malaysia”, presented at ‘Australia-Middle East Conference on Business and Social Sciences 2016’ , 17–18 April 2016, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Taufique, K.M.R., Siwar, C. Chamhuri, N. & Sarah, F.H. (2015). “Integrating General Environmental Knowledge and Eco-Label Knowledge in Understanding Ecologically Conscious Consumer Behavior”, presented at ‘Fifth International Conference on Marketing and Retailing (5th INCOMaR) 2015’ , 12–13 October 2015, Penang, Malaysia.
- Taufique, K.M.R., Siwar, C. & Islam, S. ABM. (2014). “Measuring Consumer Understanding and Perception of Eco-Labels: An Empirical Study to Develop Measurement Instruments”, presented at the 3rd PSU Phuket International Conference 2014 on ‘Multidisciplinary Studies on Sustainable Development’, 13–14 November 2014, PSU Phuket Campus, Thailand.
- Taufique, K.M.R., Siwar, C. & Sarah, F.H. (2014). “Measuring Consumers’ Environmental Responsibility: An Empirical Study to Develop Measurement Instruments”, presented at Burapha University International Conference 2014 on ‘Global Warming and Its Impacts’, 3–4 July 2014, Pattaya, Thailand.
- Taufique, K.M.R., Siwar, C., Talib, B. & Sarah, F.H. (2013). “Does Eco-label Work for Consumers? A Quest for Identifying the Determinants of Consumers’ Understanding and Perception of Eco-labels”, presented at 7th Biennial Conference, organized and funded by Indian Society for Ecological Economics (INSEE), 5 – 8 December 2013, Assam, INDIA.
- Taufique, K. M. R. & Siwar, C.B. (2013). “Sustainable food consumption: a compilation and review of why consumers buy or intend to buy green food in Malaysia”, presented at 4th Social, Development and Environmental Studies International Conference 2013, 19 March, at National University of Malaysia, Malaysia.
- Huda, M. M, Taufique, K. M. R. & Sultan, P. (2011). “Buying Motives of Herbal Skin Care Products: A Study on Dhaka City Consumers”, presented at 5th Asian Business Research Conference, organized by World Business Institute, 23-24 December 2011, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Taufique, K. M. R. & Shahriar, F. M. (2011) “Adoption of Online Social Media as an Innovation: Who’s Inside the Spectrum?”, presented at international conference on Innovations in Management, organized by Centre for Innovations in Business & Management Practice, 21-22 July 2011, London, the United Kingdom.
- Taufique, K. M. R. & Shahriar. F. M. (2011) “Online Social Media as A Driver of Buzz Marketing: Who’s Riding?”, presented at international conference on Innovations in Business and Management, organized by Centre for Innovations in Business & Management Practice, 26-27 January 2011, London, the United Kingdom.
- Shahriar, F. M. & Taufique, K. M. R. (2010) “Using Social Networking Websites for Promoting Tourism Destinations in a Changing Tourism Environment”, presented at Business Competencies in a Changing Global Environment Conference, jointly organized by Global Business and Management Forum and Southeast University, 23 December, 2010, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Taufique, K. M. R. & Shahriar, F. M. (2009) “Enhancing Community Involvement in Developing Tourism Industry of Bangladesh:A Conceptual Framework” presented at Global Business and Economic Research Conference, 28-30 December, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Uddin, M. G. S., Alam, M. M. & Taufique, K. M. R. (2007) “An Empirical Evidence of Relationships between Exchange Rate and Stock Prices in Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE)” presented at Global Business and Economic Research Conference, 26-27 December, Bangkok, Thailand.
Master Class / Keynote
- Conducted Masterclass on ‘Climate Change Communications’ for mid-career corporate professionals organized by Institute for Public Relations, University of Florida, USA (23 June 2022).
- Presented keynote on 'Psychological barriers to climate change communications' at 2nd International Conference on Interdisciplinary Approach in Social Sciences 2022 organized by The Islamia University of Bahawalpur, Pakistan (22-23 November 2022).