Currently investigating motor learning and adaptation of stepping and locomotion in children with Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD).
Areas of expertise
- Human movement and performance
- Balance and fall prevention
Teaching and supervision
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Skeletal muscle mechanics and physiology
- Exercise science
- Research methods
|Zoe Taylor||Power training for fall rehabilitation and prevention in over 56s and comparisons of recovery mechanisms for loss of balance between fallers and non-fallers||Active|
Over the last decade, I have had the opportunity to participate and lead quality research in the topics of sports performance and physical rehabilitation, from my undergraduate studies on athletic performance during a beach volleyball match, with emphasis in the physiology of fatigue and recovery, to my MSc work in the effects of added weight in anaerobic exercise performance. Finally, to my doctoral studies and postdoctoral training in the overall theme of balance recovery and fall prevention in older individuals.
In general, my main research interests lie in human movement and performance analysis, with particular interest in aging and fall prevention.
Centres and institutes
Emad Al-Yahya1,2*, Patrick Esser3, Benjamin D. Weedon3, Shawn Joshi3,4,5, Yan-Ci Liu3,6, Daniella N. Springett3,7, Piergiorgio Salvan8, Andy Meaney3, Johnny Collett3, Mario Inacio3,9, Anne Delextrat3, Steve Kemp3, Tomas Ward10, Hooshang Izadi11, Heidi Johansen-Berg8, Hasan Ayaz4,12, Helen Dawes3,13, 'Motor learning in developmental coordination disorder: behavioral and neuroimaging study'
Frontiers in Neuroscience 17 (2023)
ISSN: 1662-4548 eISSN: 1662-453XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Mario Inacioa,b,c, Patrick Essera, Junxian Lid,e, Lei Xue, Hui Zenge, Rui Hee, Helen Dawesa,f,g,h, Fang Liud,e , 'Spectral parameters of gait differentiate diabetic patients from healthy individuals'
The Foot 56 (2023)
ISSN: 0958-2592 eISSN: 1532-2963Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Inacio M, Esser P, Weedon BD, Joshi S, Meaney A, Delextrat A, Springett D, Kemp S, Ward T, Izadi H, Johansen-Berg H, Dawes H, 'Learning a novel rhythmic stepping task in children with probable Developmental Coordination Disorder '
Clinical Biomechanics 102 (2023)
ISSN: 0268-0033 eISSN: 1879-1271Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Taylor Z, Walsh GS, Hawkins H, Inacio M, Esser P
, 'Perturbations during gait: a systematic review of methodologies and outcomes'
Sensors 22 (15) (2022)
ISSN: 1424-8220 eISSN: 1424-8220Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
- Inacio M. Aging and the Effects of Power Training on Standing Balance. Research Day, University of Maryland at Baltimore, 2017. Invited Platform presentation.
- Inacio M, Ryan A, Bair W, Prettyman M, Beamer B, and Rogers M. Do all muscles age equally? Gero Student Research Forum - The Geriatrics and Gerontology Education and Research Program, UM Center for Research on Aging, 2014. Platform presentation.
- Inacio M, Ryan A, Bair W, Prettyman M, Beamer B, and Rogers M.W. Gluteal muscle composition discriminates fallers from non-fallers in community dwelling older adults. GRC University of Maryland at Baltimore, 2013. Poster presentation.
- Co-presenter on Lateral Stability and Falls study report. Maryland Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center, 2011. Platform presentation.
- Odessa Addison, Mario Inacio, Woei-Nan Bair, Michelle Prettyman, Brock A. Beamer, Alice S. Ryan and Mark W. Rogers. Older Adults who Primarily Use a Medial Protective Stepping Strategy Exhibit Increased Intramuscular Adipose Tissue and decreased torque of the Hip Abductor Muscles. APTA Regional Fall Conference, 2016. Poster presentation.
- Inacio M, Creath R, Rogers M. Influence of initial limb load and hip abductor-adductor muscle performance on lateral protective stepping in younger and older adults. CSM, 2018. Poster presentation.
- Inacio M, Creath R, Rogers M. Hip abductor-adductor muscle power training improves the neuromechanical control of the weight transfer during lateral balance perturbations in older adults. CSM, 2018. Platform presentation.
- Inacio M, Creath R., Wittenberg G., Rogers M. Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) modulates hip abductor maximal isometric performance. SfN, 2017. Poster presentation.
- Addison O, Inacio M, Ryan AS, Prior SJ, Kundi R, Lal BK., Goldberg AP, Gardner AW. Changes in Function Following a 6-Month Walking Intervention in Obese and Non-Obese Patients with Intermittent Claudication. CSM, 2016. Platform presentation.
- Addison O, Inacio M, Bair WN, Prettyman M, Beamer BA, Ryan AS and Rogers MW. Older Adults Who Primarily Use a Medial Protective Stepping Strategy Exhibit Increased Intramuscular Adipose Tissue and Decreased Torque of the Hip Abductor Muscles. CSM, 2016. Platform presentation.
- Inacio M, Gray V, Bair W, Yang C, Sanders O, Abarro J, Gaeta-Howe A, Prettyman M, Creath R, Beamer B, McCombe-Waller S and Rogers M. W. Combining high intensity lateral balance training with resistance training to improve muscle performance in older adults. CSM, 2015. Poster presentation.
- Inacio M, Ryan A, Bair W, Prettyman M, Beamer B, and Rogers M. Gluteal muscle composition discriminates fallers from non-fallers in community dwelling older adults. CSM, 2014. Platform presentation.
- Inacio M, Creath R. and Rogers M.W. Control of landing during forward-induced stepping for balance recovery in healthy young adults. SfN, 2013. Poster presentation.
- Inacio M, Dipietro L, Visek AJ, Miller TA. Influence of upper-body external loading on anaerobic exercise performance. ACSM, 2010. Poster presentation.
- Inacio M, Creath, R, Rogers MW. A Minimalist Approach to Power Training for Enhancing Lateral Balance Function and Mobility in Older Adults. ICFSR, 2018. Platform presentation.
- Inacio M, Creath, R, Rogers MW. Influence of initial limb load and hip abductor-adductor muscle performance on lateral protective stepping in younger and older adults. ISPGR, 2017. Platform presentation.
- Beamer B, Ryan A, Addison, O, Inacio M. Muscle Indices Underlying Functional Decline in Aging Populations - Translating science into rehabilitation interventions. ICFSR, 2016. Symposium presentation.
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. June 2017 – 2018. Postdoctoral Fellow.