Olga is a health and care researcher with a background in psychology. She joined Oxford Brookes University in 2018 taking up a research position. She has been developing a programme of research into long term conditions, diabetes in particular, and mental health and undertaking research in the NHS settings. In her teaching role, Olga contributes to the Professional Doctorate in Nursing Programme and supervises PhD and Professional Doctorate students. She also supervises undergraduate and postgraduate Adult and Mental Health Nursing dissertation students. She is a member of the Hong Kong Intensive School Team and teaches on BSc Health Care Studies (BSc Dissertation Module - Module Leader; Research Design Module) and MSc / PG Dip Nursing Studies (Advanced Research Design Module).
NHS Sponsorship Deputy Lead for the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences.
Postgraduate Research Tutor for OSNM and the health section of the Deptartment of Psychology, Health and Professional Development.
Teaching and supervision
- Research Methodologies
- Research Proposal and Ethics Approval
Current Doctoral students:
- Alex West-Oram "Exploring Clinical Accreditation" (DoS)
- Lynda Dix "Constant observation in the forensic mental health setting to inform decision-making" (DoS)
- Reema D'Souza "Nurses' experiences of delivering and planning care for patients with dementia-related behaviours: an observational and interview study" (DoS)
- Alicia Diaz-Gil "Needs of people with dementia in the perioperative environment from the perspective of healthcare staff, patients and their family members" (2nd supervisor)
- Erin Booth "Partnership working between MH services, police and ambulance services in addiction acute admissions" (2nd supervisor)
- Jodie Freeman, “Young people’s perceptions of Novel Psychoactive Substances” (University of Wolverhampton, 2019)
|Diana Yardley||An exploration of health care professionals’ perceptions of non-medical factors affecting management of Type 1 diabetes in children||Active|
The research areas I am developing are on the interface of physical and mental health. Currently I am focusing on diabetes and mental health and how to improve care for people with these conditions while observing patient safety and well-being.
Centres and institutes
- Supportive Cancer Care and Long-Term Conditions
- Teaching and Learning Projects
- Workforce Development
- Paradigms in nursing research
- Diabetes mellitus and mental health conditions in secondary mental health services
- Incorporating the Diabetes Distress Scale into routine nursing diabetes care
- Management of diabetes in adults with psychiatric disorders in inpatient settings
- The development of a Patient Reported Experience Measure (PREM) for inpatients with diabetes
Projects as Principal Investigator, or Lead Academic if project is led by another Institution
- Management of diabetes in adults with psychiatric disorders in inpatient settings: clinicians’ perceptions of their role (01/07/2022 - 31/12/2022), funded by: Oxfordshire Health Services Research Committee (OHSRC), funding amount received by Brookes: £9,855
- Incorporating the Diabetes Distress Scale into routine nursing diabetes care – a feasibility and acceptability project (01/01/2021 - 28/02/2022), funded by: Oxford Biomedical Research Centre, funding amount received by Brookes: £34,887
- The development of a Patient Reported Experience Measure (PREM) for in-patients with diabetes (01/10/2018 - 31/07/2021), funded by: Oxfordshire Health Services Research Committee (OHSRC), funding amount received by Brookes: £5,634
Aveyard H, Kolawole A, Gurung P, Cridland E, Kozlowska O, 'Informed consent prior to nursing care: Nurses' use of information'
Nursing Ethics [online first] (2022)
ISSN: 0969-7330 eISSN: 1477-0989Abstract Published here
Waite MA, Kozlowska O, 'Emotional distress associated with sleep disturbances impacts the quality of life with type 1 diabetes across the lifespan'
Evidence-Based Nursing online first (2022)
ISSN: 1367-6539 eISSN: 1468-9618Abstract Published here
Ramluggun P, Mansbridge S, Kozlowska O, Rioga M, Anjoyeb M, 'Mental Health in Higher Education; Faculty staff survey on supporting students with mental health needs'
Health Education [in press] (2022)
ISSN: 0965-4283 eISSN: 1758-714XAbstract Published here
Beresford C, Kozlowska O, 'The barriers and facilitators to managing diabetes with insulin in adults with intellectual disabilities: A systemised literature review'
Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities [in press] (2022)
ISSN: 1360-2322 eISSN: 1468-3148Abstract
Ayres H, Kozlowska O, Schutz S, 'Conducting research into assaults on mental health nurses during COVID-19: a reflection on a professional and ethical dilemma'
British Journal of Mental Health Nursing 10 (3) (2021)
ISSN: 2049-5919 eISSN: 2052-496XAbstract Published here
Tan GD, Kozlowska O, Rea RD, 'Integrated care and diabetes: challenges, principles and opportunities'
Clinics in Integrated Care 4 (2021)
ISSN: 2666-8696 eISSN: 2666-8696Abstract Published here
Henshall C, Kozlowska O, Walthall H, Heinen A, Smith R, Carding P, 'Interventions and strategies aimed at Clinical Academic Pathway Development for Nurses in the United Kingdom: A systematised review of the literature'
Journal of Clinical Nursing 30 (11/12) (2021) pp.1502-1518
ISSN: 0962-1067 eISSN: 1365-2702Abstract Published here
Kozlowska O, Attwood S, Lumb A, Tan GD, Rea R, 'Population health management in diabetes care: combining clinical audit, risk stratification, and multidisciplinary virtual clinics in a community setting to improve diabetes care in a geographically defined population. An integrated diabetes care pilot in the North East Locality, Oxfordshire, UK'
International Journal of Integrated Care 20 (4) (2020)
ISSN: 1568-4156 eISSN: 1568-4156Abstract Published here
Kozlowska O, Seda G, Rea R, 'Leadership for integrated care: a case study'
Leadership in Health Services 33 (2) (2020) pp.125-146
ISSN: 1751-1879Abstract Published here
Tan GD, Kozlowska O, Rea RD, 'Delivery and organization of diabetes care: integrated care'
Medicine 47 (2) (2019) pp.127-130
ISSN: 1357-3039 eISSN: 1878-9390Abstract Published here
Diaz GA, Brooke J, Kozlowska O, Pendlebury S, Jackson D, 'Care needs of people with dementia in the peri-operative environment: A systematic review'
Dementia 19 (6) (2018) pp.1889-1906
ISSN: 1471-3012 eISSN: 1741-2684Abstract Published here
Kozlowska O, Rea R, 'Local enhanced services: Is a lack of outcome data affecting diabetes care?'
Diabetes and Primary Care 20 (3) (2018) pp.121-125
ISSN: 1466-8955 eISSN: 1466-8955Abstract Published here
Jackson D, Kozlowska O, 'Fundamental care: the quest for evidence'
Journal of Clinical Nursing 27 (11/12) (2018) pp.2177-2178
ISSN: 0962-1067 eISSN: 1365-2702Published here
Kozlowska O, Lumb A, Tan GD, Rea R, 'Barriers and facilitators to integrating primary and specialist healthcare in the United Kingdom: a narrative literature review'
Future Healthcare Journal 5 (1) (2018) pp.64-80
ISSN: 2055-3323 eISSN: 2055-3323Abstract Published here
Kozlowska O, Solomons L, Cuzner D, Ahmed S, McManners J, Tan GD, Lumb A, Rea R, 'Diabetes care: closing the gap between mental and physical health'
British Journal of General Practice 67 (663) (2017) pp.471-472
ISSN: 0960-1643Published here
Sallah D, Kozlowska O, 'Here to Stay: Research into the needs, experiences and outcomes of health and social care services of people with learning disabilities from ethnic minority communities, including new migrants, living in England'
Faculty of Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability eNewsletter 2014 (2014)