I am a Senior Lecturer in Marketing at Oxford Brookes Business School where I specialise in marketing and the business of sport.
Teaching and supervision
- Marketing in Context
- Customer Insight and Engagement
- Understanding Customer Behaviour
I teach at both the undergraduate and postgraduate level in the field of marketing.
I have supervised students from UG, PG, and PhD in the discipline areas of Marketing and Management.
My research interests are on cryptocurrency sponsorship, betting, employability, and on how sport and society impact each other. My Doctor of Education (EdD) thesis focused on further identifying the employability competencies most desired by the major sport leagues in North America.
Currently, I am researching the role image and trust play in product adoption, specifically around cryptocurrency and sport sponsorship. Alternatively, I am also researching on policy implementation and equitable opportunities for youth sport, and corruption within the sport industry.
I published my work in leading academic journals such as the Journal of Business Research and Psychology and Marketing. Further, I present my research at internationally recognised conferences such as the European Association of Sport Management, and the North American Society for Sport Management.
Babu MM, Bason T, Porreca R, Petratos P, Akter S, 'Fostering trust and overcoming psychological resistance towards cryptocurrencies and cryptoassets'
Psychology and Marketing Online first (2023)
ISSN: 0742-6046 eISSN: 1520-6793Abstract Published here
Xu Zimu, Gonzalez-Serrano Maria H, Porreca Rocco, Jones Paul, 'Innovative sports-embedded gambling promotion: A study of spectators’ enjoyment and gambling intention during XFL games'
Journal of Business Research 131 (2021) pp.206-216
ISSN: 0148-2963 eISSN: 1873-7978Abstract Published here
Porreca R, 'Impact of CTE Research on Football in Society'
International Journal of Sport and Society: Annual Review 10 (2) (2019) pp.47-55
ISSN: 2152-7857Abstract Published here
Porreca R, 'General Managers and the Importance of Using Analytics'
The Sport Journal 2016 (56) (2016)
ISSN: 1543-9518Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Sport and Society Research Network
- United States Professional Tennis Association
- Bason, T., Petratos, P., Porreca, R., & Mohiuddin Babu, M. (2023, September). Sport and the Blockchain: An Emerging Relationship. Presented at the European Association of Sport Management (EASM) 2023 Conference.
- Gray, S., & Porreca, R. (2023, March). Explaining elite athletes’ corruption behaviours: A case study of doping and match fixing. Presenting at the 14th Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association Sport & Politics Specialist Group.
- Porreca, R., Xu, Z., Gonzalez-Serrano, M., & Jones, P (2021, June). Consumer enjoyment and gambling intention: Case of live on-screen betting odds during XFL games. Presented at the North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM) 2021 Conference.
- Porreca, R.P. (2020, September). Betting on the Olympics: A new way to fund sport? Presented at the European Association of Sport Management (EASM) 2020 Conference.
- Porreca, R.P. (2020, April). Virtual conversations: Sports management careers & current topics in 2020. Panelist discussing "The Future of Sport Betting in the U.S." Neumann University
- Brimecombe, M., Porreca, R.P., Rodriguez, A. (2019, February). The importance of soft skills in the curricula; Preparing sport, marketing and business majors for the future. Accepted for presentation at the 2019 Global Sport Business Association Conference, Western Caribbean.
- Brimecombe, M., Porreca, R.P., Rodriguez, A. (2018, November). The ongoing challenge of
- assessment: An examination of a sport management program. Accepted for presentation at the NEEAN Fall Forum, Worcester, MA.
- Porreca, R.P. (2018, September). Impact of CTE research on football in society. Invited presentation for Beyond the Game: Tackling: Mental Illness in Athletes Conference. Chad Robinson Foundation, Sydney, Australia.
- Porreca, R.P., & Brimecombe, M. (2018, July). Impact of CTE research on football in society. Presented at the International Conference on Sport and Society, Florida International University, Miami, FL
- Porreca, R.P., Brimecombe, M. (2018, April). Soft skill development within sport management curriculum. Invited presentation for Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT). Newbury College, Brookline, MA
- Porreca, R.P., Brimecombe, M. (2018, February). Soft skill development within sport management curriculum. Presented at COSMA Conference, Jacksonville, FL
- Porreca, R.P. (2017, July). Sports analytics 101. Presented at the Great Lakes Analytics in Sports Conference, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Stevens Point, WI
- Porreca, R.P., Barr, C. (2015, November). Valued employability competencies. Presented at the Academy of Business Research, Lynn University, Boca Raton, FL
Press and publicity
I have given interviews and provided comment on the business of sport for multiple outlets (podcasts, US news).
I began my professional career working in the sport industry in 2005 and worked for 10+ years in a variety of roles; most recently in professional tennis for the United States Tennis Association Player Development.
In 2012 I began the transition to academia, and since then I have taught at universities in the United States, England, France, Vietnam, and Montenegro.