Dr Samia Kamal
BSc (Hons), MSc, PGCE, PhD
Dr Samia Kamal is a National Teaching Fellow, awarded to individuals who have made an outstanding impact on student outcomes and the teaching profession. Samia has demonstrated a longstanding commitment to helping all her learners reach their full potential. She has been recognised on a national level for her work and impact across the Institution to inspire and influence her colleagues.
Samia in her role as Principal Lecturer for Student Experience is committed to exploring learning and teaching strategies suited to her discipline of Computer Science. Her championing of Computer Science pedagogy has helped to transform students’ experiences at Oxford Brookes University, especially women in STEM subjects, through her proactivism and advocacy for underrepresented groups.
Samia is also an Enterprise Education Fellow, where she leads enterprise and entrepreneurship education practices within the curriculum with appropriate adaptations for different disciplines, which provides an integrated approach to entrepreneurship, research, and enterprise within the curriculum and as part of our students’ broader development.
Teaching and supervision
Subject Coordinator for the Foundation in Computing course.
Key modules taught:
- Introduction to Programming
- Web Applications Development
- Building a Web-based Business
- Innovative Product Design
- Postgraduate dissertations in Computing and Data Analytics
- Development of AI tools for education.
- Development of personalized AI tools for education.
- Computer Science education and pedagogy.
- Enhancing employability outcomes for Computer Scientists.
- Embedding enterprise and entrepreneurship in the STEM curriculum.
Research grants and awards
- Awarded a Brookes Teaching (Excellence) Award for development of an eLearning framework specific for STEM subjects.
- Awarded Brookes Teaching Excellence Innovation Award.
- Development of an Innovation incubator ICE Qube that will provide an integrated approach to employability, research and enterprise within the curriculum, or as part of our students’ broader development. Innovation Lab project will be strategic ecosystem for fostering students' and staff innovation, research and entrepreneurship.
- TEMPUS (EU funded) project to provide a strategic support and lasting impact on Ukrainian higher education in establishing a structural change towards an educational system that promotes students’ creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship in the IT related educational programs.
Memberships of professional bodies
- Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Teaching Fellow, Oxford Brookes University
- Fellow of British Computer Society (The Chartered Institute for IT)