I am the Programme Lead for a cluster of programmes including Public Health, Management in Health and Social Care, Nursing Studies, Health Science and Professional Development in Health and Social Care. I am the Course Director for our Flying Faculty in Hong Kong and I look after collaborative provision in Swindon and Dublin. My educational interests include developing online learning and teaching research methods.
I am also a dedicated researcher with an interest in how we engage marginalised groups in health research and in health promotion activities such as cancer screening.
Before joining Oxford Brookes University, I taught Psychology in Further Education and at the Open University.
Areas of expertise
- Survey design and analysis
- Framework analysis
- Research recruitment methods
- Digital technologies in research
- Social and health inequalities
Teaching and supervision
- Global Public Health Leadership (MPH, PGDip, PGCert)
- Health Sciences Open Award (MSc, PGDip, PGCert)
- Management in Health and Social Care (MSc, PGDip, PGCert)
- Nursing Studies (Leadership in Clinical Practice) (MSc, PGDip, PGCert)
- Public Health (MPH, PGDip, PGCert)
- Professional Development in Health and Social Care (BSc (Hons))
- Applied and Advanced Research Methods
- Data Analysis
- Advanced Health Promotion
- Project Management Skills
- Evidence-Based Practice
- MPH Public Health dissertation supervision
- MPH Global Public Health Leadership project supervision
My work explores how researchers might motivate young women to take part in research which asks questions about their health risk behaviours. I am particularly interested in the use of social marketing and digital technologies to reduce barriers to research participation. In addition, I am part of a project to increase the uptake of bowel cancer screening in South Asian communities in England.
My earlier research involved the validation of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test in Primary Care. I have also undertaken an audit with Dr. Jane Appleton, Dr. Catherine Powell and Dr. Nick Pike to evaluate NHS staff knowledge and training needs on the subject of child sexual exploitation.
- AI and Data Analysis (AIDAN) Research Network - Steering group member
- Engaging under-represented young women in studies that explore health risk behaviours
- Improving the uptake of bowel cancer screening in the South Asian community
Howcutt SJ, Saini P, Henshall C, Brett J, Watson E, Smith LA , 'Visualizing community networks to recruit South Asian participants for interviews about bowel cancer screening'
Journal of Cancer Policy 32 (2022)
ISSN: 2213-5383 eISSN: 2213-5383Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Foxcroft DR, Howcutt SJ, Matley F, Taylor Bunce L, Davies EL , 'Testing socioeconomic status and family socialization hypotheses of alcohol use in young people: A causal mediation analysis'
Journal of Adolescence 94 (2) (2022) pp.240-252
ISSN: 0140-1971 eISSN: 1095-9254Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Howcutt SJ, Barbosa-Bouças S, Brett J, Barnett AL, Smith LA, 'Lifestage differences in young UK women’s reasons for research participation'
Health Promotion International 36 (1) (2021) pp.132-142
ISSN: 0957-4824 eISSN: 1460-2245Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Howcutt S, Barnett AL, Barbosa-Boucas S, Smith L, 'Research recruitment: A marketing framework to improve sample representativeness in health research'
Journal of Advanced Nursing 74 (4) (2017) pp.968-975
ISSN: 0309-2402 eISSN: 1365-2648Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Memberships of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Royal Society for Public Health
- BPS Chartered Psychologist, Member of the Division of Academics, Researchers and Teachers in Psychology
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy