Warren Buckland is Reader in Film Studies in the School of Arts. He studied photography (Derby, 1987) before moving into film studies (Ph.D. Film Studies, University of East Anglia, 1993). His research and teaching activities encompass film semiotics, cognitive film theory, narrative theory (puzzle films), and digital humanities.
Teaching and supervision
- Film Theory
- Independent American Cinema
- Dissertation Supervision (BA and MA)
- Research Methods (MA)
- Digital Humanities
- MA Dissertations on film theory, Hollywood cinema, digital humanities, film style
- Supervised PhD theses on on Film Style, Film-Philosophy, Puzzle Films, Hollywood Cinema.
Warren Buckland's areas of Research:
- Film theory
- Contemporary cinema (Hollywood blockbusters; puzzle films; new sincerity)
- Digital humanities
- Pedagogical research
- Independent American cinema
Research grants and awards
- British Academy Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Film Studies in 1994 (the first of its kind in film studies)
- Senior Research Fellow in Cinepoetics, Freie Universität Berlin (Autumn semester 2016)
- Who Wrote Citizen Kane? A Computer Analysis of Disputed Co-Authorship
- Narrational Strategies in contemporary cinema (including Christopher Nolan’s Following, Céline Sciamma’s Portrait of a Lady on Fire, and Joanna Hogg’s The Souvenir).
Buckland W, 'Revisiting Videogame Logic: Impossible Storyworlds in the Contemporary Hollywood BlockbusterPanoptikum 2021, 26: https://doi.org/10.26881/pan.2021.26.07
Panoptikum 27 (2021) pp.155-167
ISSN: 1730–7775 eISSN: 1730–7775Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Buckland W, 'The Logic of the Cinematic in Portrait of a Lady on Fire'
Quarterly Review of Film and Video 39 (2) (2021) pp.254-271
ISSN: 1050-9208 eISSN: 1543-5326Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Buckland W, '"Mind our mouths and beware our talk": Stylometric analysis of character dialogue in The Darjeeling Limited'
Journal of Screenwriting 10 (2) (2019) pp.131-147
ISSN: 1759-7137 eISSN: 1759-7145Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Buckland W, 'The Unnatural and Impossible Storyworlds of Michel Gondry’s Music Videos: The Mise en Abyme of ‘Bachelorette’'
Volume! 14 (2) (2018)
ISSN: 1634-5495 eISSN: 1950-568XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Buckland W, 'La Politique des Auteurs in British Film Studies: Traditional versus Structural Approaches'
Mise au Point 8 (2016)
ISSN: 2261-9623 eISSN: 2261-9623Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Buckland W, 'The Film Critic Between Theory and Practice (Or: what every film critic needs to know)'
Film Criticism 40 (1) (2016)
ISSN: 0163-5069Published here Open Access on RADAR
Buckland W, 'Visual Rhetoric in Michel Gondry’s Music Videos: Antithesis and Similarity in Beck’s Deadweight'
Empedocles: European Journal for the Philosophy of Communication 5 (1-2) (2015) pp.49-57(9)
ISSN: 1757-1952 eISSN: 1757-1960Abstract Published here
Buckland W, 'Bodies in Filmic Space: The Mise en Scène of ‘Courtship Readiness’ in The Big Sleep'
Senses of Cinema March 2013 (66) (2013)
ISSN: 1443-4059Published here
Buckland W, 'Symptomatic reading in Althusser, Cahiers du cinéma, and Zizek'
Jump Cut 55 (Fall 2013) (2013)
ISSN: 0146-5546Abstract Published here
Buckland W, 'Solipsistic Film Criticism. Review of The Language and Style of Film Criticism'
New Review of Film and Television Studies 10 (2) (2012) pp.288-298
ISSN: 1740-0309Abstract Published here
Buckland W, 'Wes Anderson: a ‘smart’ director of the new sincerity?'
New Review of Film and Television Studies 10 (1) (2012) pp.1-5
ISSN: 1740-0309Abstract Published here
Buckland W, 'Film as a specific signifying practice: a rational reconstruction of Stephen Heath's 'On screen, in frame: Film and ideology''
Semiotica 187 (41000) (2011) pp.49-81
ISSN: 0037-1998Abstract Published here
- Keynote: “Revisiting Videogame Logic: Impossible Storyworlds in the Contemporary Hollywood Blockbuster.”
- Fast, Slow & Reverse. Faces of Contemporary Film Narration: Around Mainstream Cinema, Gdańsk, 24th–25th May 2017.
- “The Impossible Storyworlds of Michel Gondry’s Music Videos.”
- Watching Music Colloquium, Paris Philharmonic, December 2-3, 2016.
- “Symbolic Meanings in Filmic Discourse: From Syntagm/Paradigm to Embodied Cognition (by way of Metaphor/Metonymy).”
- Cinepoetics Workshop, Freie Universität Berlin, June 8-10, 2016.
- “‘Practical Ways of Thinking’: Challenging the Film Theory/Film Practice Division.”
- Film-Philosophy Conference, University of Oxford, July 20-22, 2015.
- “The Dissociation of Body and Voice in The Trial (1963) and Inland Empire (2006).”
- Listening Cinematically Conference, Royal Holloway, University of London, 25-26 June, 2015.
- “The Craft of Independent Filmmaking.”
- Independent States Conference, Institute for Creative Enterprise, Edge Hill University, 4-5 September 2014.
- Keynote: “Source Code’s Videogame Logic.”
- Film, Virtuality, and the Body conference at Rome 3 University, 26-28 November 2013.
- Keynote: “Cognitive Semiotics Revisited.”
- Opening address at the International Congress of the Colombian Association for Semiotic Studies, Jorge Tadeo Lozano University, Bogota, Colombia September 16, 2013.
- Editor of the journal the New Review of Film and Television Studies (Routledge, 2003-2016) (editorial board member 2017-).
- Member of the editorial board of the journal Signata: Annales des sémiotiques.
- Member of the editorial boards of the following book series: Thinking Cinema (Continuum International Publishers) and The Hollywood Studio System (Routledge).
- Reviewer of manuscripts and book proposals for Amsterdam University Press, Edinburgh University Press, Blackwell, The Open University Press, Wallflower Press, MIT Press, Palgrave Macmillan, Berghahn, Bloomsbury Academic, and Routledge.