I am Director of the Oxford Centre for Methodism and Church History, which is a University research centre focusing on religious history. It also cares for more than a dozen collections of books, artworks and manuscripts.
Area of expertise
- Religious History of early modern and modern Britain (broadly 1600-1900);
- Historical theology;
- History of Universities;
- Welsh history;
- Church and State, the Church and politics.
Teaching and supervision
My recent PhD student completions include:
- Chris Metcalfe (2011) ‘Methodist Reunion in Whitby’
- Sally Tye (2013) ‘Religion, the SPCK and the Westminster Workhouses:‘Re-enchanting’ the Eighteenth Century Workhouse’
- Keith Anderson (2014) ‘Images of the Crucifixion in Modern Art’
- John Lenton (2014) ‘John Wesley’s Preachers: The Lives of the Methodist Itinerant Preachers accepted by John Wesley for the Itinerancy’
- Clive Norris (2015) ‘The Financing of Early Methodism’
- Linda Ryan (2015) ‘Child-rearing and Education: The Thinking and Practice of John Wesley and some of his Contemporaries, Evaluated within its Eighteenth-century Context’
- Sarah Prendergast (2016) ‘The Welsh Revival of 1904-05: recovering the role of women’
- Daniel Reed (2018) ‘Patronage, Performance, and Reputation in the eighteenth-century church’
- John Harding (2020) ‘Griffith Jones and the Church of England in Wales in the eighteenth century’
- Steve Sanders (2021) The Upholder in the Age of Chippendale’
|Thomas Dobson||Training to Teach: Westminster College and the development of Higher Education in the 20th century||Active|
I am currently editor of the Journal of Religious History, Literature and Culture and also edit the Routledge Methodist Studies book series.
Centres and institutes
Projects as Principal Investigator, or Lead Academic if project is led by another Institution
- Research in the field of theology and church history of the Methodist Church (01/08/2017 - 31/07/2018), funded by: Westminster College Oxford Trust Ltd, funding amount received by Brookes: £271,000
Gibson W, 'A Bishop for Virginia in 1672 Revisited'
Huntington Library Quarterly 85 (3) (2022) pp.539-546
ISSN: 0018-7895 eISSN: 1544-399XPublished here Open Access on RADAR
Gibson W, 'Engines of Tyranny: The Court Sermons of James II'
Bulletin- John Rylands University Library of Manchester 97 (1) (2021) pp.11-24
ISSN: 0301-102XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gibson W, '"None but Presbyterian Baptism": Samuel and Susanna Wesley, monarchy and marriage'
Proceedings- Wesley Historical Society 61 (2018)
ISSN: 0043-2873Abstract Open Access on RADAR
Gibson WT, '"So Cruel and Unjustifiable a Revolution": Bishop George Pretyman Tomline and Edward Kilvington 1794-96'
Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society 106 (2017)
Gibson W, 'Introduction: New Perspectives on Secularisation in Britain (and Beyond)'
Journal of Religious History 41 (4) (2017) pp.431-438
ISSN: 0022-4227Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gibson WT, 'English provincial engagement in religious debates: the Salisbury quarrel of 1705-15'
Huntington Library Quarterly 80 (1) (2017)
ISSN: 0018-7895Abstract Open Access on RADAR
Gibson W, '"Large and Handsome Volumes": Early Owners of Benjamin Hoadly's Works'
Quaerendo: A Journal Devoted to Manuscripts and Printed Books 46 (4) (2016) pp.329-360
ISSN: 0014-9527 eISSN: 1570-0690Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gibson W, 'Tory anti-exclusionism in church and state: Richard Thompson of Bristol in 1678–85'
The Seventeenth Century 31 (3) (2016) pp.357-374
ISSN: 0268-117XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gibson W, 'John Trusler and the Culture of Sermons in Late Eighteenth-Century England'
Journal of Ecclesiastical History 66 (2) (2015) pp.302-319
ISSN: 0022-0469 eISSN: 1469-7637Abstract Published here
Gibson W T, 'John Trusler and the Sermon Culture of Late Eighteenth Century England'
Journal of Ecclesiastical History 66 (02) (2015) pp.302-319
ISSN: 0022-0469Abstract Published here
Gibson W, 'Mr Wesley's Business': dissenters, debt and distress in 1705'
Historical Research 83 (222) (2010) pp.635-648
ISSN: 0950-3471 eISSN: 1468-2281Abstract Published here
Gibson W, 'Samuel Wesley's conformity reconsidered'
Methodist History 47 (2) (2009) pp.68-83
ISSN: 0026-1238Published here
Gibson W, 'Episcopal lands at Llanarthney : correspondence from the Huntington Library '
Carmarthenshire Antiquary 44 (2008) pp.125-127
Gibson W, 'The limits of the confessional state: electoral religion in the reign of Charles II'
Historical Journal 51 (1) (2008) pp.27-47
ISSN: 0018-246X eISSN: 1469-5103Abstract Published here
Gibson W, 'Dissenters, Anglicans and the Glorious Revolution: the Collection of Cases'
The Seventeenth Century 22 (2007) pp.168-184
Gibson W, 'William Talbot and Church Parties 1688 - 1730'
Journal of Ecclesiastical History 58 (1) (2007) pp.26-48
ISSN: 0022-0469Abstract Published here
Gibson W, 'The persecution of Thomas Emlyn, 1703'1705'
Journal of Church and State 48 (3) (2006) pp.525-539
ISSN: 0021-969X eISSN: 2040-4867Abstract Published here
Gibson W, 'Brother of the more famous Benjamin: The theology of Archbishop John Hoadly'
Anglican and Episcopal History 75 (3) (2006) pp.401-422
Gibson W, 'The Persecution of Thomas Emlyn, 1703-1705'
Journal of Church and State 48 (2006) pp.525-539
Recent papers include:
- 2017 Invited speaker at the Pusey House Anglicanism 1689-1900 seminar.
- 2017 Invited speaker at Nottingham University Conference on the History of Religion and Sexuality.
- 2017 Invited keynote speaker: ‘Spiritual Networks: Religion in Literature and the Arts from 1700’ Martin-Luther-University, Halle-Wittenberg.
- 2017 Invited speaker at the Institute of Historical Research ‘Refashioning History in the Twentieth Century’ on Thomas Frederick Tout.
- 2017 Invited speaker at the University of San Diego Humanities Institute: ‘The Origins of American Rights in a British Crisis in the 1680s’
- 2017 Invited speaker, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego.
- 2018 Invited Plenary Speaker Sermons Studies Conference, Montreal.
- 2019 Invited Plenary Speaker Religion and the Enlightenment, Martin-Luther University, Halle-Wittenburg
- 2019 Invited Speaker at the Society of Antiquaries meeting, November.
- 2019 Invited Pleanary Speaker Church and Public Space Conference, Clermont-Avergne University, France.
- 2017-18 Erasmus-funded Visiting Professor, University of Sassari, Sardinia.
- 2019-20 Visiting Professor, University of Clermont-Auvergne, France.