Alert If you are dealing with a student who is at immediate risk of harm, please see our emergency and 24-hour support page.
Student Welfare and Support work with Student Support Service colleagues and staff across the University to support students who are having difficulties functioning or continuing their studies for non-academic reasons to help them to engage successfully engage with University life and avoid crisis situations.
The team can provide guidance for staff who are supporting vulnerable students and also works directly with students. They can provide a first and when appropriate, regular point of contact for vulnerable students, those at risk or in crisis, particularly those who may be reluctant to access professional services or students unsure of which support service to access. This can involve help with prioritising, problem-solving, goal planning, developing coping strategies and offering practical support (eg helping a student access an external agency, attending a difficult meeting/interview) or simply offering a listening ear.
The Student Welfare and Support Manager is a member of the University Case Conference Group which is in place to advise individual members of staff on how to respond to complex, risky or vulnerable situations involving students.
- You have serious concerns about a student’s welfare or behaviour and you want to talk them through
- You believe a student needs extra support to help them through a crisis
- You would like guidance about working with vulnerable students
- You want advice about setting up a Cause for Concern Group
- Other students or staff are concerned about a student and would like to talk to someone
- You have dealt with a difficult situation and would like a debrief
Student Welfare and Support Advice Team
Please email us to arrange an initial appointment.
Monday - Thursday, 9.00am - 5.00pm
Friday, 9.00am - 4.30pm