Where can I get a Council Tax Exemption letter?

If you are enrolled as a full-time student, you will be exempt from paying Council Tax. Some councils will ask for a Council Tax Exemption Letter to prove this. You must be a fully enrolled student and then you can generate the letter yourself. Most councils will accept electronic PDF copies but if you need a Hard Copy of your Council Tax Letter, you can easily print one from the printers available on campus using uniPRINT.

Please note, if you live within the Oxford city boundaries, you will need to register your student status via the Oxford City Council website. This means you do not need to obtain a Council Tax Exemption Certificate.

If you receive a reminder from the Council even after registering, DO NOT ignore it. It is your responsibility to ensure that the Council is aware of your student status, but please be aware that you will still be liable for Council Tax payments until the Council has received confirmation that all members of the household are exempt from Council Tax.

Please watch the instructional video below to see an example of what is included on a Council Tax Letter. If you require a letter confirming your address please request an Attendance Certificate by following the instructions on this page.

How to request a Council Tax Exemption letter

If you need a Council Tax Exemption Certificate, watch this video or follow the instructions below.

Step 1: Requesting a Council Tax Certificate

  • Log into Student Information.
  • Under the student menu, click on 'Forms and requests'.
  • Click on 'Request a document'.
  • A new page will open - click on 'Request a document'.
  • Select 'Council Tax letter PDF'.
  • Click on 'Yes' to select the latest version of the document.
  • Click on 'Submit'.
  • A green message will appear at the top of the screen confirming your request.

Step 2: Download your letter

  • Once requested, Council Tax letters are produced within 12 hours. 
  • They will appear in Student Information - click on 'My requests' to view the Council Tax letter.