Types of application

Type A Extension (24 hours)

The University offers students a 24 hour extension for ‘deadline’ (coursework) assessments in case you encounter any short-term resolvable problems in the run up to assignment submission.  

Type B Extension (3 days extension or opportunity to defer a non-examined event assessment)

The University offers students up to 3 days* extension for ‘deadline’ (coursework) assessments or an alternative opportunity to take a non-examined event assessment in case you encounter any short-term circumstances in the run up to assignment submission. 

Students will not be able to use Type B requests more than twice within one academic year. If you have exceptional circumstances again and require an extension, or cannot take an event assessment, you will need to apply via Type C, providing a full explanation and evidence

Students can only apply for Type B exceptional circumstances within the two weeks leading up to the assessment deadline, e.g. if the assessment is due on Monday of week 5 then students can only apply from Monday of week 3 - no earlier than this. This is because we do not expect people to know about the types of circumstances a Type B would cover far in advance. If you are aware of circumstances that will impact your ability to study several weeks in advance, you should try to plan around it, but if you cannot, you can make a Type C application.

Type C (Full Exceptional Circumstances Application)

The University can offer students extensions and opportunities to take an assessment again when a student has demonstrated they have exceptional circumstances. Type Cs are to be used when a student needs more than a 3 day extension or they are applying late for the other application types.

These applications require evidence where possible, or a full explanation of why evidence cannot be obtained 

Type D (Deferral of an examined event assessment)

Type D is an opportunity for you to tell us that you were unexpectedly not able to sit the event assessment. You may, for example, have been unexpectedly unwell with a self-limiting illness such as vomiting and diarrhoea or migraine, where you do not need to seek medical attention. You do not need to provide the University with evidence of the unexpected event.