How to apply

Making an exceptional circumstances application

If you need to apply for exceptional circumstances (Types A, B, C or D), you need to make your application through 'My Requests' on Student Information.

You should do this as soon as the circumstances become apparent to you and preferably before the assessment deadline or the start of the examination/event assessment, although you can make a claim up to 48 hours after the start of the assessment for some of the assessment applications.

You will need to provide evidence if you are applying for Type C so please have it ready to upload to a Google Drive.

Please note that if you are requesting an extension for a deadline assessment via Type C, it is an application and therefore it is not guaranteed. If an extension is granted, the length of the extension is determined by the panel. You should continue to work on your assessment if you can and submit it as soon as you can.

Final hand-in dates for deadline assessments

There are final hand-in dates for deadline assessments. Even with exceptional circumstances and Inclusive Support Plan extensions, you cannot submit work beyond the below relevant dates*:

  • Postgraduate (PG) September dissertations - 11 November 2022
  • Undergraduate (UG) and PG Semester 1 and Semester 3 resits- 6 January 2023
  • PG January Dissertations and September Dissertation resits - 24 February 2023
  • UG and PG Semester 1 resits and Semester 2 modules- 26 May 2023
  • UG and PG 2 Semester resits- 14 July 2023
  • UG Semester 3 - 18 September 2023

This is to allow for marking before the final mark upload date.

For example, if you apply for two week extension for your semester 2 coursework which was due on 20th May, the maximum extension you could have is 6 days.

*All of these dates are subject to change if any further amendments to assessment schedules are required.

Exceptional circumstances flowchart


If you have any questions or experience difficulties submitting your application via Student Information, please contact:


You will need to provide suitable, relevant evidence to support your application. If you cannot provide evidence of your circumstances when you make your application, you need to tell us what evidence you plan to provide and confirm that you have requested it.

We will normally expect you to provide evidence to support your application within 10 working days of the original claim. 

If you think that it may take longer than 10 working days to provide your evidence, please explain why on your application. Remember that your application cannot be processed until you provide evidence of your circumstances. Claims that do not contain supporting evidence after 10 working days are unlikely to be considered unless the Student Information and Resolution Team have agreed to a short extension.

For more information, see evidence to support your application.