London Book Fair Scholarship
The London Book Fair is offering a fee-waiver bursary of £1,000 to a full-time or part-time student at the Oxford International Centre for Publishing on the MA in Publishing Media, MA in Publishing, or MA in Digital Publishing. The student will also receive the guarantee of a work placement for a minimum of three weeks at the London Book Fair.
The Publishing Scholarship, open to students from the UK and EU, will be awarded on the basis of a considered explanation of what the master’s course will contribute to the student’s learning and career development.
About the London Book Fair
The London Book Fair is the global marketplace for rights negotiation and the sale and distribution of content across print, audio, TV, film and digital channels. The fair takes place each year at Olympia, West London, and covers all aspects of the publishing industry.
Students may apply for this scholarship alongside other sources of funding (including other scholarships offered through Oxford Brookes University), but these must be detailed on the application. The Scholarship will not include a maintenance grant. Applicants who are successful in receiving awards from other sources of funding which cover their tuition fees will not be eligible for the Scholarship, and must inform the Programme Administrator. Eligibility will not be affected by funding covering maintenance costs. The Scholarship cannot be transferred to maintenance costs.
This funding is available to students studying on the following courses:
Applicants must already have accepted, by the time of application, a conditional or unconditional offer of a place to start the course in September 2023 or January 2024. Applicants for the Scholarship must submit by email a cv and a 500-word rationale for their application for the Scholarship. Applicants are also asked to detail any further funding sources they are applying for, and to indicate how they intend to pay for the remainder of their fees and maintenance costs.
Applicants failing to comply with these procedures will not be considered for the scholarship.
Candidates should be notified if they have been successful by 3 July 2023.
Terms and conditions
The scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis of academic merit and applications are assessed in relation to:
- academic merit
- how the applicant’s chosen degree programme relates to their career ambitions
- personal development explaining why the applicant believes they are deserving of the scholarship
- The Scholarship Committee of the Faculty of Technology, Design and Environment will be responsible for the allocation of the scholarships identified in this leaflet. The decision of the Committee in awarding the scholarships is final and the Committee will not enter into discussion regarding decisions.
- When allocating awards, the Scholarship Committee will take account of:
- applicant’s performance in examinations and other formal assessments at first degree level. (In the case of final year undergraduates, the Committee will take into consideration the applicant’s expected results, as indicated by their referees. (Conditional offers of scholarships will only be confirmed if applicants achieve satisfactory results.);
- work experience and professional qualifications, if appropriate;
- applicant’s personal statements about their intended programme of study and their reasons and purposes for undertaking it. This is an important part of the application, and the Committee will pay particular attention to what applicants write in their personal statements.
- references supporting the applicant’s programme applications;
- supporting statements from programme tutors to which the applicant has applied, where applicable.
- A reserve list may be drawn up in case any of the selected applicants do not take up the offer of a scholarship. The Committee will also monitor student progress, in the case of part-time scholarships awarded for two years.
The Faculty must receive all completed scholarship applications by 11.59pm (23:59 GMT) on 5 June 2023. Applications must be made through the appropriate google form. Successful applicants will be informed by email of the Committee’s decision by 3rd July 2023 (TBC). Applicants who are offered a scholarship must indicate by 7 July 2023 whether they wish to accept the offer of a scholarship.
Applicants failing to notify the Faculty of their intention to take up the offer of a scholarship by the deadline of 7 July 2023 will forfeit the scholarship. Scholarship offers not accepted by the deadline will be withdrawn and re-allocated to the next applicant on the scholarship reserve list.
No late applications will be accepted.
Postgraduate programme information is available on the Faculty’s website.
The address for correspondence in relation to the scholarships listed in this document is:
Programme Portfolio Manager, Room AB221, Faculty of Technology, Design and Environment, Oxford Brookes University, Headington Campus, Oxford OX3 OBP, UK