Find a courseExpand
Applied Coaching Science
The Applied Coaching Science (MSc) degree at Oxford Brookes is a coach development programme driven by and provided for the development of your coaching practice. The course has been designed in consultation with leading organisations in the sector and aims to develop professionals equipped with the knowledge and skills to deliver at the cutting edge of coaching science.
To support the need for high level professional development we have provided a flexible approach to your studies, designed to fit around your current coaching commitments:
- Part-time only, to allow sufficient time and space to successfully complete studies alongside professional roles.
- Blended delivery, which merges online content with face-to-face blocks (2.5 days), this flexibility is to ensure we fit around your professional role(s).
- Professional experience entry requirement (a degree is not compulsory).
- Diverse assessment modes, allowing submission through a range of mediums.
- A staff team of active researchers and high-level practitioners.
How to apply
Questions about fees?
Contact Student Finance on:
Questions about fees?
Fees quoted are for the first year only. If you are studying a course that lasts longer than one year your fees will increase each year.
Financial support and scholarships
Learning and assessment
The programme structure and the content offered are balanced across several elements to allow for the development of high-level, theoretically-informed practitioners. Our degree programme will:
- Provide a balanced amount of academic literature with an emphasis on its practical use throughout each module to ensure students develop their ability to engage with, make sense of and critically apply in context.
- Provide students with opportunities to develop both academically and personally, ensuring that whilst becoming theoretically-informed practitioners they are also advancing to achieve their personal goals (such as leadership skills).
- Ensure problem solving and solution finding are at the forefront of the programme design.
- Adhere to each of the Brookes Attributes through the design and delivery of each module (and the programme as a whole) so that we offer learning and teaching that is at the forefront of the field, providing students with an experience of the highest standard possible.
Watch our webinar to find out more about the course and to meet some of our academics.
1. Pedagogy and Coach Development in Sport, Coaching and Physical Education
We are interested in the development of coaches expertise. With a particular focus on the design of learning environments, informed by an understanding of ecological dynamics.
2. Sociology, Culture and Politics in Sport, Coaching and Physical Education
As such, we seek to examine the way that sport, physical activity and physical education are constructed to serve those engaged from participation to performance.
3. Performance Enhancement
Our research contributes to the development and improvement of human performance in competitive sport and exercise through a multi-disciplinary approach. A particular focus of our work is the exploration of the physiological and psychological impact of contrasting training and recovery methods with regard to the preparation and performance of elite sportspeople.
After you graduate
The course is positioned as a coach development course, designed to accelerate the learning, development, and most importantly the practice of the coaches who enroll. Students who complete the course and develop the knowledge and skills to enhance their employability within the coaching, teaching and performance sport domains.
For more information, please visit our Changes to programmes page.