Activate Learning welcome applications from mature students without formal qualifications, who now want to take the opportunity for some practical skills development. It also welcomes applications from those who wish to place their experience and knowledge within a formal educational framework.
Students are normally expected to start at Level 4, but can be admitted to any level of the course which is considered suitable, after portfolio review and interview using the Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme (CATS). Under this arrangement, a student may apply to have previous academic credits or other learning (APL) or experience (APEL) taken into consideration. Such applications are considered by the Faculty CATS committee and must be supported by the Programme Coordinator.
Specific entry requirements
Students interested in applying for this course should normally have the following:
- a minimum of the equivalent of two years’ full-time relevant work experience and a current role in an appropriate workplace setting
- evidence of ability to study at academic Level 4
- evidence of support from their employer and recommendation;
- a minimum of one A-level at grade C plus the equivalent of 5 GCSE passes at C grade or above normally including Mathematics and English Language - or a recognised equivalent vocationally related qualification, or;
- A National Diploma in General Art and Design, or;
- An Art Foundation course, or;
- Level 3 City and Guilds Diploma in Furniture, or;
- Access to Art and Design
Please also see the University's general entry requirements.
All applicants to the course will be interviewed and their portfolios reviewed. As a minimum, the portfolio interview should be able to demonstrate that the applicant can do the following:
- Show that they have an understanding of the course
- Demonstrate that they have the necessary (or required) academic, artistic and practical skills, to enable them to embark upon their chosen course of study.
English language requirements
Where applicable; IELTS normally minimum level 6.0 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in the reading and writing components and a minimum of 5.5 in the speaking and listening components.
Please also see the University's standard English language requirements
English requirements for visas
If you need a student visa to enter the UK you will need to meet the UK Visas and Immigration minimum language requirements as well as the University's requirements. Find out more about English language requirements.
How to apply
Full-time students should apply for this course through UCAS.
Terms and Conditions of Enrolment
When you accept our offer, you agree to the Terms and Conditions of Enrolment. You should therefore read those conditions before accepting the offer.
Oxford Brookes operates the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). All undergraduate single modules are equivalent to 7.5 ECTS credits and double modules to 15 ECTS credits. More about ECTS credits.