The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) achieved an Athena SWAN Bronze award in 2020. This recognises our commitment to gender equality and our adoption of the Athena SWAN Charter.
A culture of equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) is part of our DNA, and our EDI strategy is overseen by a member of the faculty’s senior management. We are proud that professors in HSS are equally likely to be male or female. Nearly half of the faculty’s executive leadership board is female, and over half of academic school heads are female.
We recognise that there is much more to do. Our 5 year plan sets out an agenda to further strengthen gender equality. We will be working on:
- developing even more inclusive teaching resources,
- diversifying and decolonising our curricula,
- supporting gender-equal student progression to academic careers,
- strengthening our work-life balance approach,
- improving support for parents and carers.