Many electronic resources offer an alerting service which allows you to specify which topics, authors and/or journals you are interested in. You will then be alerted by email or Web feed (RSS) when new information becomes available.
Below are details of a selection of key research tools which offer alerting services. There are many other databases and ejournal collections which also provide alert services, including: databases on the EBSCOhost and ProQuest platforms; Sage Premier Collection; Cambridge University Press journals. Check the help options on each platform for information.
The Web of Science Service is an excellent research database.
- Browzine is an ejournal browsing platform providing access to Oxford Brookes Library ejournals. You can browse for journals by subject, keyword or title and access the full text of current and past journal articles. Keep up to date and set up your own bookshelf on Browzine.. Add your favourite journals and these will be tracked for new content. Articles can be saved to read later, downloaded or exported to reference software, including EndNote.
- Journal TOCS is the largest free collection of scholarly Table of Contents covering many subject areas. You can follow the journals of your choice by ticking the checkboxes available in Search and Browse results. You will then receive alerts when new issues of your followed journals are published.
- Our Course resource pages give details of resources specific to your subject discipline, including databases which allow you to set up alerts for your searches and receive emails when new content is added. If you need any further help or advice, please contact your Librarian.
- The core collection provides access to the key research journals in many subject areas in the Sciences, Social Sciences and Arts & Humanities. Content is updated weekly. There is extensive help on the database on using all the features.
- Alert services. Register with the Web of Science database to set up alerts to your searches as well as citation alerts.
- You can search across all the journals in the database and you can also do a cited reference search - see below.
- Web of Science also includes Conference Proceedings.
- The Web of Science products also include the reference management service EndNote, and the Journal Citation Reports.
Cited reference searching on Web of Science
Journal Citation Reports on Web of Science
- The Journal Citation Reports enable users to evaluate and compare journals using citation data drawn from scholarly and technical journals from publishers. It includes Science, Social Science and Technology subject areas. You can access it from the Web of Science database. Select Products from the menu bar and click Journal Citation Reports. A guide to searching the Reports is available from this link
A preprint is a full draft research paper that is shared publicly before it has been peer reviewed. These reports are shared publicly through preprint servers, enabling researchers to share their results quickly and freely. Do be aware that credibility concerns have been raised about some papers as they haven’t been peer reviewed. Examples of preprint services are listed below.
- bioRxiv is a free online archive of preprints in Biology and the Life Sciences. The archive has links with PLOS - publisher of a number of open access journals in the sciences and medicine.
- medRxiv a preprint server for Health Sciences.
- SocArXiv is an open archive of papers in the social sciences, enabling social scientists to upload preprints, working papers and published papers.
- ArXiv provides open access to preprints in a number of subject areas, including physics, mathematics, computer science, statistics and electrical engineering.
- NutriXiv a preprint service for nutritional research across life sciences, medicine and health.
- PsyArXiv a preprint service for psychological research, maintained by The Society for the Improvement of Psychological Science
- OSF Preprints provides access to preprints in a broad range of subjects including Arts and Humanities, Life Sciences, Business and Architecture.
- Preprints a multidisciplinary preprint platform.
- SSRN a multidisciplinary platform which includes preprints.