I module lead INFO3013 Global Issues and INFO3009 Culture & Communication on Pathways and PREM6005 Managing Yourself on the Pre-Masters programme. I teach and lecture on Environmentally Sustainable Business BMGT5007.
I also lead the Future Pathways ESD Project and curate the ESD 'Learning Lunches' professional development series.
The core focus of my role is embedding education for sustainability pedagogy and practice into Higher Education.
Teaching and supervision
- Business and Management (BA (Hons))
- International Foundation Diploma (Foundation Diploma)
- International Foundation Arts, Humanities and Law (BA (Hons), BSc (Hons), LLB Law (Hons))
- International Foundation Diploma (Extended pathway) (Foundation Diploma)
- International Foundation Business and Technology (BA (Hons), BSc (Hons))
- Pre-Master's Diploma - English Language and Study Skills (Diploma)
- Foundation in Business (Foundation course)
- Modern Languages with Translation (BA (Hons))
- INFO3013 Global Issues
- INFO3009 Culture and Communication
- INFO3029 Critical Thinking & Problem Based Learning
- PREM6005 Managing Yourself
- BMGT5007 Environmentally Sustainable Business
- MOFL5001 Professional Communication
I also develop and write teaching materials. I have written a series of ELT course books and pedagogical guides for Younger Leaners of English, as well as Teacher Training materials for OUDCE Online Teaching Academy (OTA) teacher training courses for Oxford University.
My particular area of interest involves looking at how to embed sustainability into HE teaching and learning and the barriers to doing so. This focuses on the role of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) pedagogy and transformative learning.
Education for Sustainability looks at the philosophy and psychology of learning and teaching and how this supports or undermines social and ecological sustainability across and beyond disciplines.
I also work on digital innovations in assessment for ESD.
Memberships of professional bodies
- Chair SEEd, Sustainability and Environmental Education
- EAUC: Sustainability Senior Leadership Alumni 2021
- Advance HE: SFHEA mentor
- UN UK&I PRME, Principles of Responsible Management Education: Sustainability Mindset
- working group, LEAP member
- BALEAP, British Association of Lecturers for English for Academic Purposes: BALEAP PIM 'EAP for a more Sustainable World' Organising Committee 2023
- Our Shared World: SEEd co-chairs this coalition
- Wellington Festival of Education, Sustainability Strand: Organising Committee with Wellington College and WWF
- I have completed courses in Carbon Literacy, the Sustainability Mindset Principles (SMP) and Values 101 with The Common Cause Foundation.
- d'Abreu, C. (2022) ‘Moving from Safe to Brave Spaces’ University of Glasgow, Centre for Educational Development and Innovation Sustainability in Teaching and Learning seminar series, Available at: https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/engineering/international/uestc/cedi/seminars, Advance HE Connect.
- d’Abreu, C. (2021) ‘Creative coursework: student-centred learning’, Digital pedagogies and innovative teaching, Brookes Learning and Teaching Exhibition and Conference (BTLEC), The art of the possible: reimagining learning and teaching in Covid shaped times. Available at: https://bltec2021.ocsld.org/exhibits/creative-coursework-student-centred-assignments/ Accessed on 08/08/2021)
- d’Abreu, C. and Nukui, C. (2021) ‘Pedagogies of purpose: education for a better future’.
- Inform Conference, Student Support and Experience: In and outside the Classroom, University of Reading.
I mentor and lead transformative ESD learning sessions for SEEd's Sustainability Leadership Changemakers course and contribute widely to their consultancy work.
I am Chair of SEEd, a charitable organisation working to embed sustainability at all levels of education. SEEd is a key partner in UNESCO’s Global Action Plan and Co-chairs the coalition Our Shared World.