Karen is a Senior Lecturer in Leadership at the Business School. Karen joined Brookes in 2022, following previous Higher Education posts at Leeds Metropolitan University (now Leeds Beckett), the University of Nottingham, and the University of Winchester. She has also led on HE programmes for a partner college of Buckinghamshire New University and University College of Birmingham. She is currently engaged with Buckinghamshire New University and Plymouth Marjon University on programme delivery. Karen is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and a Certified Management and Business Educator (CMBE). With a long established academic and teaching profile in sustainability leadership and management, Karen is committed to supporting student success and developing links to business networks and practice. She is engaged in the work of 'Principles of Responsible Management Education' and actively pursues teaching and research around Education for Sustainable Development.
Teaching and supervision
- BMGT4009 Business in Society
- BMGT5026 Developing Professional Practice
- BMGT6077 Dissertation Supervision
- BMGT7065 Leading and Managing Change
Karen has a vast range of teaching experience across a large number of subject areas embracing leadership, responsible management, sustainability, HRM, international business and research methods. She has led module delivery and dissertation supervision across undergraduate and postgraduate (MSc and Executive MBA) modules.
She has acted as academic advisor on the Chartered Management Degree Apprenticeship, and is currently an academic tutor for the Senior Leader and Senior People Professional Apprenticeships.
- BMGT5027 Placements
- BMGT6077 Dissertation Supervision
- BMGT7050 Dissertation Supervision
- BMGT7028 Live Client Project Supervision
- 2021- Age Inclusivity/Fairness in the Workplace (DBA, PT University of Winchester)
- 2019- Sustainability Management Tools and Knowledge Networks (PhD, PT University of Winchester)
- Corporate Social Responsibility in the Food Industry (2022) University of Winchester
- Democratisation and Employee Ownership (2021) University of Winchester
Karen's research interests focus on responsible management and leadership, and pedagogies for teaching responsible management and leadership. She is currently engaged in research into the 'sustainability mindset' and links between employability and students skills for working towards the Sustainable Development Goals.
Karen is an active member of the United Nations backed 'Principles of Responsible Management Education' (PRME), having acted as PRME Champion in her previous institution and continuing in roles as:
- Co-lead for the London and South East Regional Network Group
- Ambassador for the Sustainability Mindset Working Group (in which she also holds the Action Lab Diploma)
- Newsletter co-lead for the Climate Change and Environment Working Group
Recent Funded Projects:
Lead Investigator: University of Winchester Research Informed Teaching Fund – Sustainability Mindset £2000 (2022)
Lead Investigator: University of Winchester Teaching & Scholarship Development Fund – Sustainability Mindset – a tool for integrating sustainability into the curriculum - £500 (2022)
Co-Investigator: University of Winchester Higher Education Innovation Fund - SDGs for SMEs workshop - £2000 (2021). Project PI Dr Simon Smith
Co-Investigator: The UK India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI) Mobility Programme. University of Winchester and Amity University – Virtual Exchange Programme (2021). Project PI Dr Simon Smith
Associate Reviewer – Journal of Tourism Futures (2022-)
Associate Editor-in-Chief – International Journal of Business Research and Management (2021-)
Walmsley A, Cripps K, Hine C, 'Generation Z and Hospitality Careers in the UK'
Hospitality & Society 10 (2) (2020) pp.173-195
ISSN: 2042-7913 eISSN: 2042-7921Abstract Published here
Schwartz K, Tapper R, Font X , 'A Framework for Sustainable Supply Chain Management in Tour Operations'
Journal of Sustainable Tourism 16 (3) (2008) pp.298-314
ISSN: 0966-9582 eISSN: 1747-7646Abstract Published here
Tapper R, Font X, Schwartz K, Kornilaki M, 'The Challenges of Sustainable Supply Chain Management in a Service Sector: The Tourism Experience '
Business Strategy and the Environment 17 (4) (2008) pp.260-271
ISSN: 0964-4733 eISSN: 1099-0836Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Certified Management and Business Educator (CMBE) for the Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS) (2021-)
- British Academy of Management (2021-)
- EAUC The Alliance for Sustainability Leadership in Education (2021-)
- Chartered Management Institute (2020-)
- Higher Education Academy (2019-)
- Cripps, K., Rimanoczy, I. and Beres, L. (2022) ‘Sustainability Mindset: Knowledge, Attitudes and Behaviours for Responsible Leadership’. The 8th Annual Conference of the UK and Ireland Principles of Responsible Management Education (PRME): University of Hull
- Cripps, K. and Beres, L. (2022) ‘Education for Sustainable Development: Embedding a Sustainable Mindset’. IncludEd Higher Education for All - University of Winchester Teaching and Learning Conference
Karen's PhD in 'Sustainable Supply Chain Management in UK tour operations' involved a range of consultancy projects on behalf of external organisations.