Karen is a Senior Lecturer in Leadership at the Business School, and a Subject Coordinator for the Business and Management undergraduate programme. Karen joined Brookes in 2022, following previous lecturing at the University of Winchester, the University of Nottingham, and Leeds Metropolitan University. She has also led on HE programmes for a partner college of Buckinghamshire New University and the University College of Birmingham. She is currently an external examiner for Buckinghamshire New University and Plymouth Marjon University.
Karen is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).With a long-established academic and teaching profile in sustainability leadership and management, Karen is committed to supporting student success and developing links to business networks and practice. Her practice is deeply aligned with the United Nations 'Principles of Responsible Management Education' (PRME), for which she is a steering committee member for PRME UK and Ireland, a Co-Lead for the London and South East regional network, and an ambassador for PRME Global Sustainability Mindset Working Group. She has also joined the World Economic Forum 'Global Shapers' initiative as a mentor on the 'Sustainability Leaders' programme.
Teaching and supervision
- Business in Society (BMGT4009)
- Developing Professional Practice (BMGT5026)
- Leading and Managing Change (BMGT7065)
Karen has a vast range of teaching experience across a large number of subject areas embracing leadership, responsible management, sustainability, HRM, international business and research methods. She has led module delivery and dissertation supervision across undergraduate and postgraduate (MSc and Executive MBA) modules.
She has acted as academic advisor on the Chartered Management Degree Apprenticeship, and is currently an academic tutor for the Senior Leader and Senior People Professional Apprenticeships.
- Placements (BMGT5027)
- Dissertation Supervision (BMGT6077)
- Dissertation Supervision (BMGT7050)
- Live Client Project Supervision (BMGT7028)
- 2021- Age Inclusivity/Fairness in the Workplace (DBA, PT University of Winchester)
- 2019- Sustainability Management Tools and Knowledge Networks (PhD, PT University of Winchester)
- Corporate Social Responsibility in the Food Industry (2022) University of Winchester
- Democratisation and Employee Ownership (2021) University of Winchester
Karen's research interests focus on responsible management and leadership, and pedagogies for teaching responsible management and leadership. She is currently engaged in research into the 'sustainability mindset' and links between employability and students for competencies working towards the Sustainable Development Goals. She is also engaged with research and projects around SDG2 Zero Hunger, and SDG12 Responsible Consumption and Production (food waste).
Recent Funded Projects:
• Lead Investigator: Movetia bid with l’Université de Neuchâtel, Switzerland “Collaborative Community for Sustainability Mindset Education” 150,000 Euro (around £8000 to Oxford Brookes)
• Lead Investigator: PRME SEED Funding PRME UK and Ireland Seed Funding Competition for Innovative Pedagogic Approaches and Teaching Practices - "Career Building for the Sustainable Development Goals: a co-created masterclass (£1500).
• Lead Investigator: University of Winchester Research Informed Teaching Fund – “Sustainability Mindset – a tool for integrating sustainability into the curriculum” - £2000 (2022). Leading students as co-researchers.
• Co-Investigator: University of Winchester Higher Education Innovation Fund – “Sustainable Development Goals for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises” - £2000 (2021). Project PI Dr Simon Smith.
• Co-Investigator: The UK India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI) Mobility Programme. University of Winchester and Amity University – Virtual Exchange Programme - £6000 (2021). Project PI Dr Simon Smith. Editorial Roles: Reviewer - Journal for Learning Development (2023) Associate Reviewer – Journal of Tourism Futures (2022-) Associate Editor-in-Chief – International Journal of Business Research and Management (2021-) siness Research and Management (2021-)
Cripps K, Smith SM, 'Embedding a sustainability mindset in responsible management education'
International Journal of Organizational Analysis Online first (2023)
ISSN: 1934-8835Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Séraphin H, Cripps K, Smith S, 'The importance of traveller self-presentation in ecotourism'
Tourism, Culture and Communication [online first] (2023)
ISSN: 1098-304XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Smith SM, Cripps K, Stokes P, Séraphin H, 'The Principles for (Ir)Responsible Management Education: An Exploration of the Dynamics of Paradox, the Hidden Curriculum, Competencies and Symbolization'
Management Learning 54 (3) (2023) pp.384-395
ISSN: 1350-5076 eISSN: 1461-7307Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Walmsley A, Cripps K, Hine C, 'Generation Z and Hospitality Careers in the UK'
Hospitality & Society 10 (2) (2020) pp.173-195
ISSN: 2042-7913 eISSN: 2042-7921Abstract Published here
Schwartz K, Tapper R, Font X , 'A Framework for Sustainable Supply Chain Management in Tour Operations'
Journal of Sustainable Tourism 16 (3) (2008) pp.298-314
ISSN: 0966-9582 eISSN: 1747-7646Abstract Published here
Tapper R, Font X, Schwartz K, Kornilaki M, 'The Challenges of Sustainable Supply Chain Management in a Service Sector: The Tourism Experience '
Business Strategy and the Environment 17 (4) (2008) pp.260-271
ISSN: 0964-4733 eISSN: 1099-0836Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- EAUC The Alliance for Sustainability Leadership in Education (2021-)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2019-)
• Cripps, K., d’Abreu,C. and Bobeva, M. (2023) ‘Career development for sustainability: a co-created masterclass’. PRME UK and Ireland 9th Annual Conference https://www.aston.ac.uk/bss/aston-business-school/prme-conference
• Cripps, K. and Louw, J. (2023) ‘Workshop – Sustainability, employability and jobs of the future’. PRME UK and Ireland 9th Annual Conference https://www.aston.ac.uk/bss/aston-business-school/prme-conference
• Cripps, K. and Velasquez-Hoque, S. (forthcoming 2023) ‘Career development for sustainability: an employability masterclass’. Oxford Brookes Teaching and Learning Conference https://www.brookes.ac.uk/staff/working-at-brookes/learning-and-career-development/academic-enhancement-and-development/conferences/bitlc-2023/programme
• D’Abreu, C. and Cripps, K. (2023) From the inside out: orienting the world of work to the work of the world. Advance HE Sustainability Symposium 2023 https://www.advance-he.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2023-03/Sustainability%20Symposium%20Abstracts%202023_4.pdf
• Cripps, K., Rimanoczy, I. and Beres, L. (2022) ‘Sustainability Mindset: Knowledge, Attitudes and Behaviours for Responsible Leadership’. The 9th Annual Conference of the UK and Ireland Principles of Responsible Management Education (PRME): University of Hull
• Cripps, K. and Beres, L. (2022) ‘Education for Sustainable Development: Embedding a Sustainable Mindset’. IncludEd Higher Education for All - University of Winchester Teaching and Learning Conference
• Cripps, K. and Hewlett, D. (2022) ‘Applying the sustainability mindset indicator tool through research-based teaching: a tool for student-centred and planetary success’. Paper presentation and asynchronous presentation for the 16th annual International Technology, Education and Development (INTED) Conference (online). publication:INTED2022 - IATED Digital Library
Karen's PhD in 'Sustainable Supply Chain Management in UK tour operations' involved a range of consultancy projects on behalf of external organisations.
Karen is an active member of the United Nations-backed 'Principles of Responsible Management Education' (PRME), having acted as PRME Champion in her previous institution and continuing in roles as:
- Steering Committee member for PRME UK and Ireland
- Co-lead for the London and South East Regional Network Group
- Ambassador for the Sustainability Mindset Working Group (in which she also holds the Action Lab Diploma)
- Newsletter co-lead for the Climate Change and Environment Working Group (2021-22)
- June 2022/Feb 23: Invited to deliver a workshop to PRME Global Students on behalf of the Climate Change and Environment Working Group
UK and Ireland
10th anniversary – Lead on developing a student Instagram cooking competition based on reduced food waste for the South East and London network. Hosted a research presentation on hospitality food waste by a consultant partner and a hybrid panel discussion of 8 local community food waste experts.
Press and Publicity
Oxford Brookes (2023) New research study launched by Oxford Brookes University (linked to PRME 10th anniversary events) https://www.brookes.ac.uk/about-brookes/news/2023/01/new-research-study-launched-by-oxford-brookes-univ/ Featured on BBC Radio Oxford and Heart FM (January 2023) on the Oxford Brookes (20023) new research study press release above
• Beyond the Water Cooler podcast by Lisa Lloyd (2023) ‘A PRME approach to Sustainability Mindset’ https://itstimeforchange.co.uk/captivate-podcast/a-prime-approach-to-sustainability-mindset-dr-karen-cripps
• PRME Global (2023) ‘Sustainability Mindset: Applications and Experiences’. Delivery alongside the PRME Sustainability Mindset Working Group convenor, Isabel Rimanoczy to share insights
• De Montfort University (2023) ‘Sustainability Mindset: An Introduction’. Delivery to the sustainability team to share insights for module and curriculum development.
• University of Bedfordshire (2023) ‘Sustainability Mindset for SDG 13’. Embedding the UN SDGS in Curriculum and Research Event. Workshop for faculty.
• British Universities’ International Liaison Association (BUILA) (2023) ‘Leadership Styles and Values’. Workshop delivered to experienced professionals as part of the International Recruitment Programme
• The Inspiration Space (2023) ‘The Sustainability Mindset: Unlocking Talent Engagement and Purpose-Drive’. Session screened live on LinkedIn as part of a series on engaging business professionals in sustainability
• PRME Global Students (2022/23) ‘(2022, 2023) – ‘Climate Literacy’ delivery of workshop for ambassador global students on behalf of the ‘PRME Working Group on Climate Change and the Environment’
• PRME Leap Working Group on the Sustainability Mindset (2022) ‘The Sustainability Mindset: An exploratory study of teaching and learning perceptions’. Presentation to the international community.
• Amity University (India) 7th Global Leadership conference (2022) Session Co-Chair for the General Management Track and opening presentation. Academic attendees from several Indian Universities.
• Amity University (India) Mega International Lecture Series (2021) ‘Competencies and mindset in responsible management education - how to add value?’. 400+ attendees from Amity’s faculty, students, and alumni.
• The IC Global Partnership (2021) ‘Leadership Styles and Values’. Academic attendees from several British Universities.
• Université Savoie Mont Blanc PhD Summer School (2020) ‘Sustainable Supply Chain Management in UK Tour Operations – longitudinal research’. International PGR student attendees.