Dr Maya Nedyalkova
School of Arts
Maya Nedyalkova is a Research Fellow for the Creative Industries Research and Innovation Network. Her research interests include Bulgarian cinema, transnational film industries and audience and reception studies. She has experience obtaining research funding from the UK Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), the British Academy and the Research Excellence Awards scheme at Oxford Brookes University.
Teaching and supervision
Teaching on select modules across the undergraduate and postgraduate Film Studies programmes.
Maya explored selected transnational aspects of the Bulgarian film industry in her PhD thesis at the University of Southampton. As part of her British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship at Oxford Brookes University, she investigated shifting patterns in Bulgarian film consumption, positioned within global culture and economy. Her most recent work focuses on digital film audiences and collaboration with industry partners.
Nedyalkova M, 'Rhetoric of Belonging and Transnational Appropriation in the Text, Development and Marketing of the Bulgarian Popular Feature Love.net'
Open Screens 4 (2) (2021)
ISSN: 2516-2888 eISSN: 2516-2888Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Nedyalkova M, 'Spisanie Kino/Kino Magazine and its role in reflecting and developing Bulgarian film culture'
Studies in Eastern European Cinema 9 (1) (2018)
ISSN: 2040-350X eISSN: 2040-3518Published here Open Access on RADAR
Memberships of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Studies in Eastern European Cinemas Conference (2021)
- History of Movie-Going, Exhibition and Reception (HoMER) Network Annual Conference (Dublin, 2021)
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS) Annual Conference (2021)
- Film Audiences Movements and Migrations: Across Borders and Screens (Oxford, 2020) (co-organiser)
- History of Movie-Going, Exhibition and Reception (HoMER) Network Annual Conference (Nassau, 2019)
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS) Annual Conference (Chicago, 2017)
- European Screens Conference (York, 2016)
- Production Studies: Film, Television and Their Industrial Contexts (Leicester, 2016)
- British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies (BAFTSS) Annual Conference (Reading, 2016)
- Fifth Annual Screen Industries in East-Central Europe Conference (Bratislava, 2015)
- European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA) Film Sutides Interim Conference (Lund, 2013)
- European Cinema Research Forum (Edinburgh, 2013)