Dr Omar Abou Hamdan
PhD, FHEA, PGCHE, MBA, BSc
Lecturer in Management and Leadership
Oxford Brookes Business School
Dr. Omar Abou Hamdan is a Lecturer in Management and Leadership at Oxford Brookes University following previous Higher Education positions at Coventry University and University of Huddersfield. He holds a PhD in Management and Leadership from the University of Huddersfield UK, MBA from the Lebanese American University and Medical Laboratory Sciences Bachelor from the American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
In addition to his academic role as a Lecturer, Omar is a Futsal Coach and a Medical Laboratory Scientist. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCHE). He is committed to enhance students’ experience throughout their Course of Study.
Teaching and supervision
- Business and Management (BA (Hons))
- Management (MSc)
- Business Management and Geography (BA (Hons))
- Business Management and International Relations (BA (Hons))
- Business, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship (BA (Hons))
- Strategic Business Simulation
- Dissertation in Business and Management
- Business Strategy for Competitive Advantage
- Strategic Management
- Business Management Dissertations
Omar has a broad range of teaching experience across a large number of subject areas embracing HRM, Strategic Management, Leadership, Research Methods, and Organizational Behavior. He has led module delivery and dissertation supervision across UG and PG programme.
Omar's research has touched upon the areas of workplace exchange and organizational change. His areas include team dynamics in the HE sector, in particular leadership and peer learning. Overall, Omar's interests focus on the power of discourse to shape group phenomena such as leadership and learning as well as social categories and identities (with a specific focus on political and cultural identities).
Burhan M, Abou Hamdan O, Tariq H, Hameed Z, Naeem RM, 'The role of contextual factors in shaping HRM formality in SMEs'
Employee Relations [online first] (2022)
ISSN: 0142-5455Abstract Published here
Abou Hamdan O, Meschitti V, Burhan M, 'How is leadership cultivated between principal investigators and research team members? Evidence from funded research projects in the UK'
Higher Education Quarterly 76 (4) (2022) pp.726-740
ISSN: 0951-5224 eISSN: 1468-2273Abstract Published here
Burhan M, Salam MT, Abou Hamdan O, Tariq H, 'Crisis management in the hospitality sector SMEs in Pakistan during COVID-19 '
International Journal of Hospitality Management 98 (2021)
ISSN: 0278-4319 eISSN: 1873-4693Abstract Published here
Liu Y, Abi Aad A, Maalouf J, Abou Hamdan O, 'Self- vs. other-focused mentoring motives in informal mentoring: conceptualizing the impact of motives on mentoring behaviours and beneficial mentoring outcomes'
Human Resource Development International 24 (3) (2021) pp.279-303
ISSN: 1367-8868 eISSN: 1469-8374Abstract Published here
- British Academy of Management Conference 2022, Manchester UK.
- Peer Reviewer Workshops at SAGE Publishing 2020 – International Virtual Platforms
- NARTI 14th Annual Conference 2019, Huddersfield UK.
- European Group Organizational Studies for Paper Development 2019 – Beirut Lebanon “Accepted and Postponed”.
- British Academy of Management Conference 2018, Bristol UK.
- Capri Summer School 2018 – Italy
- NARTI 12th Annual Conference 2017, Newcastle UK.