Subject Coordinator MSc (Pre-registration) Physiotherapy. Responsibilities include subject exam committees, student progression, supporting quality review processes, liaising with external examiners, coordinating timetables, writing and reviewing MSc marking criteria for the different programme levels alongside BSc subject coordinator.
Leading role for AHP's (Allied Health Professionals) simulation for the faculty. Responsible for growing and developing the simulation provision within the physiotherapy programmes, on the interprofessional modules with occupational therapy and also supporting other healthcare programmes to develop the use of simulation within teaching.
Teaching and supervision
BSc Physiotherapy Modules:
- Skills for Health Informatics
- Cardiorespiratory Physiotherapy
- Collaborative practice in Healthcare
- Health, Wellbeing and Exercise
- Physiotherapy management of Long Term conditions
- Integrated Physiotherapy Practice
- Specialist Physiotherapy Practice
- Dissertation in Physiotherapy
MSc Physiotherapy Modules:
- Applied Research Methods
- Cardiorespiratory Physiotherapy
- Health, Wellbeing and Exercise
- Physiotherapy Management of Long Term Conditions
- Leadership in Healthcare
- Mastering Physiotherapy Practice
BSc in Sport Science Module:
- Special Populations and Rehabilitation
Key interest in inter-professional module design and delivery through enquiry based learning and particularly utilising simulation based education.
Module leader for BSc and MSc physiotherapy programme modules – Year 1 Cardiorespiratory physiotherapy module, Advanced Cardiorespiratory Module lead (final year module this includes critical care management and critical care rehab and on-call simulation) previously led year 2 Health, Well-being and Exercise module.
Formative and summative assessment setting, marking, feedback and moderation for a variety of assessment approaches across a range of BSc and MSc physiotherapy modules.
Dissertation supervisor to BSc and MSc (pre-registration) students including primary data research projects. Supported students to present work at national conferences.
Academic advisor to BSc and MSc physiotherapy students, individual and group tutorials and support.
Supporting admissions process through open days and interviews including international recruitment.
Link lecturer supporting students on clinical placements on BSc and MSc programmes, as well as working with the placement team to broaden the remit of clinical placements e.g. virtual, simulation and research based placements.
My clinical research interests include critical care medicine and pre- and postoperative surgical management. Alongside my teaching role, I am studying a PhD part time investigating the benefits of prehabilitation in Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer. This includes supporting the clinical service delivery of pre and post-operative physiotherapy within the Upper Gastrointestinal cancer service at the Churchill Hospital, which is a specialist cancer centre in Oxford and part of the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
My pedagogical research interests include the use of simulation as a teaching tool to enhance complex reasoning, patient safety and inter-professional learning. I am part of the wider faculty simulation teaching team.
Centres and institutes
Woods A, Gustafson O, Williams M, Stiger R, 'The effects of inspiratory muscle training on inspiratory muscle strength, lung function and quality of life in adults with spinal cord injuries: a systematic review and Meta-analysis'
Disability and Rehabilitation [online first] (2022)
ISSN: 0963-8288 eISSN: 1464-5165Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Jarman A, Chapman K, Vollam S, Stiger R, Williams M, Gustafson O, 'Investigating the impact of physical activity interventions on delirium outcomes in intensive care unit patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis'
Journal of the Intensive Care Society [online first] (2022)
ISSN: 1751-1437Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Memberships of professional bodies
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Respiratory Care (ACPRC)
- Association of Simulated Practice in Healthcare (ASPiH)
- The Intensive Care Society (ICS)
- Ezekiel, L., Stiger R. Unpicking the mechanisms used in simulation based education that support undergraduate students' development of their collaborative practice skills. Conference oral presentation. ASPiH Conference Online, November 2021, U.K.
- Stiger, R., Baines, K., Williams, M.A., Pierce, J. A three week virtual observational clinical placement for pre-registration physiotherapy students using simulation teaching and learning principles. Conference Abstract. ASPiH Conference Online, November 2021, U.K.
- Baines, K., Pierce, J., Stiger, R., Williams, M.A. Can a virtual observational placement for MSc (pre-registration) physiotherapy achieve learning outcomes? Abstract at Physiotherapy U.K. Virtual Conference. October 2021, U.K.
- Stiger, R., Williams, A., Cui, H., Williams, M.A., Collett, J. The patient perspectives of a monitored home exercise prehabilitation intervention before major urological cancer surgery: a qualitative study. Exercise and Oncology – tailoring to the individual. Conference abstract. Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Virtual Conference September 2021, London, U.K.
- Gustafson, O., King, E., Leigh, G., Stiger, R., Williams, M. Clinical academic student placements in Adult Critical Care: Introducing healthcare professionals to research. Poster presentation. CAHPR virtual conference, September 2020. Oxford, U.K.
- Ellis, B., Curry Greenwood, K., Thomas, J., Low, M., Stiger R. Learning to Manage Complexity. Focused Symposium presentation at Physiotherapy U.K. October 2019, Birmingham, U.K.
- Stiger, R., Ezekiel, L., Ellis, B. Using simulation to increase student engagement in learning. Workshop at Brookes Teaching and Learning Conference. June 2019. Oxford, U.K.
- Ellis, B., Stiger, R., Ezekiel, L., Huguenin, J. Home sweet home: Moving simulated-learning opportunities from the hospital to the community. Poster presentation at European Network of Physiotherapists in Education Conference, September 2018.Paris, France
- Stiger, R., Pierce, J., Williams, M. The use of respiratory on-call simulation to prepare pre-registration MSc physiotherapy students for clinical practice, November 2016, ASPiH Conference, Bristol. Abstract published in, BMJ Simulation and Technology Enhanced Learning 2(Suppl 1):A2.2-A2
Volunteer/Consultant 33N/Brunel University Covid-19 response ICU acute management and ICU rehabilitation core teaching faculty (May 2020 to February 2021)
External examiner at Keele University, since May 2020.
June 2020 to date, Bank Respiratory Specialist Physiotherapist (NHS Professionals) – areas of work include adult intensive care, surgical intensive care (specialist cancer ICU), upper GI surgery and theatre recovery. (This has been mainly to help out during the COVID-19 pandemic).
November 2019 to date, Honorary Research Physiotherapist (Oxford University NHS Foundation Trust) – Upper GI surgery and Critical Care. (This role is to support my PhD research).