After graduating in Physiology from King’s College London, I worked as research technician in child health at Leicester Royal Infirmary. In 1988 I became a clinical physiologist at Charing Cross Hospital and began a PhD studying exercise breathing. My first postdoctoral position (also at Charing Cross) involved neurophysiological research on severely brain-injured patients.
In 1998 I moved to Harvard to research mechanisms of breathlessness and returned in 2004 to a lectureship at Imperial College. In 2010 I spent a year as research scientist with UK Spinal Cord Injury Research Network at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
I joined Oxford Brookes Universtity in 2011 as a Senior Lecturer and research group lead. I am also a Physiological Society Representative for Oxford Brookes University.
Areas of expertise
- Cardiorespiratory integration
- Respiratory control and sensation
- Dyspnoea (breathlessness) mechanisms, assessment, management
Teaching and supervision
- Biological Sciences (Human Biosciences) (BSc (Hons))
- Biomedical Science (BSc (Hons))
- Medical Science (BSc (Hons))
- Scientific Skills (Level 4-single)-Tutor
- Professional and Experimental Skills (Level 4-single)-Tutor
- Human Structure and Function (Level 4-double)-Lectures
- Research Methods (Level 5-single)-Project coursework supervisor
- Integrated Physiology (Level 5-double) Lectures, practicals, PBL
- Pathophysiology (Level 6-double) Module Leader
- Neuroscience (Level 6-double) Module Leader
- Research Projects (Level 6-double) Supervisor
I fulfil the following roles:
- Academic Adviser (UG Levels 4-6)
- Research projects supervisor (UG Levels 5-6)
- Module Leader (UG levels 5-6)
- Director of Studies (Postgraduate)
- Jan'21 -Dec'23 (Director of studies; Self-funded PhD)
Dr. Maria Yermolitska "Inhaled hydroxygas for dyspnoea relief" -(Active)
- Sep'20 - Aug'23 (Director of studies; Groome Studentship)
Mr.Tom Chapman "Respiratory control and dysfunction in Parkinson's Disease" -(Active)
- Sep’16 – Aug’19 (Director of Studies; Groome Studentship)
Ms. Charlotte Golding “Effects of neurosurgical intervention and neurological damage on dyspnoea“ - (Awarded August 2020)
(currently studying Medicine)
- Jan’15 – Jan’21 (Director of Studies; part-time direct PhD)
Dr. Joanna Grogono “Mechanism of dyspnoea in heart failure” -(Awarded February 2021)
Now appointed as a Consultant in Cardiology
- Oct’12 – Sep’16 (Director of Studies; Groome Studentship)
Dr. Emmanuel Debrah “Cerebral mechanisms of dyspnoea and its relief” -(Awarded March 2017)
Currently employed as a clinical trials coordinator in Neuroscience
My primary research interest is to find out how breathlessness (‘dyspnoea’) arises so that more effective drugs can be developed to relieve dyspnoea when the underlying disease can’t be cured. The multidisciplinary research involves experiments on healthy volunteers and various patients who are inordinately breathless.
I have tested hypotheses regarding ‘air hunger’ (an unpleasant component of dyspnoea), validated ways to induce specific components of dyspnoea using specially-constructed breathing circuits and developed a unique questionnaire that quantifies overall breathlessness (intensity and unpleasantness) and is based on the language patients use to describe their experience. The work has guided on-going clinical studies including randomised-controlled trials to test novel interventions.
I have a three-pronged research strategy:
- To study patients undergoing neurological interventions or suffering neurological damage in order to better understand neurophysiological mechanisms of breathlessness.
- To use the improved understanding of neurophysiological mechanisms of breathlessness to identify and trial new pharmacological interventions for intractable breathlessness.
- To address emerging concerns in clinical physiology, particularly those that have the potential to stretch the NHS to breaking point.
Mechanisms and management of breathlessness is at the core of the research strategy outlined below. There is an urgent clinical need for effective and safe interventions for breathlessness relief when underlying pathophysiology is incurable. This need has been amplified by the coronavirus pandemic.
Holton P, Huang Y, Bahuri NFA, Boccard S, Hyam JA, Paterson DJ, Dorrington KL, Aziz TZ, Moosavi SH, Green AL, 'Differential responses to breath‐holding, voluntary deep breathing and hypercapnia in left and right dorsal anterior cingulate'
Experimental Physiology 106 (3) (2021) pp.726-735
ISSN: 0958-0670 eISSN: 1469-445XAbstract Published here
Bendell C, Moosavi SH, Herigstad M, 'Low-level carbon monoxide exposure affects BOLD fMRI signal'
Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 40 (11) (2019) pp.2215-2224
ISSN: 0271-678X eISSN: 1559-7016Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Hyam JA, Wang S, Roy H, Moosavi SH, Martin S, Brittain JS, Coyne T, Silburn P, Aziz TZ, Green AL, 'The pedunculopontine region and breathing in Parkinson’s disease'
Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology 6 (5) (2019) pp.837-847
ISSN: 2328-9503 eISSN: 2328-9503Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Green AL, Debrah E, Roy H, Rebelo P, Moosavi SH, 'Thalamic deep brain stimulation may relieve breathlessness in COPD'
Brain Stimulation 12 (3) (2019) pp.827-828
ISSN: 1935-861X eISSN: 1876-4754Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Grogono JC, Butler C, Izadi H, Moosavi SH, 'Inhaled furosemide for relief of air hunger versus sense of breathing effort: a randomized controlled trial'
Respiratory Research 19 (2018)
ISSN: 1465-9921 eISSN: 1465-993XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Turri-Silva N, Garner DM, Moosavi SH, Ricci-Vitor AL, Christofaro DGD, Junior JN, Vanzella LM, Vanderlei LCM, 'Effects of resistance training protocols on nonlinear analysis of heart rate variability in metabolic syndrome'
Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research 51 (8) (2018)
ISSN: 0100-879X eISSN: 1414-431XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Banzett RB, Moosavi SH, 'Measuring dyspnoea: new multidimensional instruments to match our 21st century understanding'
European Respiratory Journal 49 (3) (2017)
ISSN: 0903-1936 eISSN: 1399-3003Published here
Binks AP, Evans, KC, Reed JD, Moosavi SH, Banzett RB, 'The time-course of cortico-limbic neural responses to air hunger'
Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology 204 (2014) pp.78-85
ISSN: 1569-9048Published here
Boskabady MH, Neamati A, Mohaghegh Hazrati S, Khakzad MR, Moosavi SH, Gholamnezhad Z, 'The preventive effects of natural adjuvants, G2 and G2F on tracheal responsiveness and serum IL-4 and IFN-γ (th1/th2 balance) in sensitized guinea pigs'
Clinics 69 (7) (2014) pp.491-496
ISSN: 1807-5932 eISSN: 1980-5322Abstract Published here
Pickering EE, Semple SJ, Nazir MS, Murphy K, Snow TM, Cummin AR, Moosavi SH, Guz A, Holdcroft A, 'Cannabinoid effects on ventilation and breathlessness: A pilot study of efficacy and safety'
Chronic Respiratory Disease 8 (2) (2011) pp.109-118
ISSN: 1479-9723 eISSN: 1479-9731Abstract Published here
Yorke J, Swigris J, Russell A, Moosavi S, Kwong G, Longshaw M, Jones P, 'Dyspnoea-12 is a valid and reliable measure of breathlessness in patients with ILD'
Chest 139 (1) (2011) pp.159-164
ISSN: 0012-3692Abstract Published here
Yorke J, Moosavi S, Shuldham C, Jones P, 'Quantification of dyspnoea using descriptors: development and initial testing of the Dyspnoea-12'
Thorax 65 (1) (2010) pp.21-26
ISSN: 0040-6376 eISSN: 1468-3296Abstract Published here
Dorman S, Jolley C, Abernethy A, Currow D, Johnson M, Farquhar M, Griffiths G, Peel T, Moosavi S, Byrne A, Wilcock A, Alloway L, Bausewein C, Higginson I, Booth S, 'Researching breathlessness in palliative care: consensus statement of the National Cancer Research Institute Palliative Care Breathlessness Subgroup'
Palliative Medicine 23 (3) (2009) pp.213-227
ISSN: 0269-2163Abstract Published here
Booth S, Moosavi S, Higginson I, 'The etiology and management of intractable breathlessness in patients with advanced cancer: a systematic review of pharmacological therapy'
Nature Clinical Practice Oncology 5 (2) (2008) pp.90-100
ISSN: 1743-4254Abstract Published here
The Frontiers in Neuroscience jounal invited us to guest-edit a special collection of articles on Respiratory control and dysfunction in neurological patients. Please follow this link to submit your papers.
- 1987-1988 Res Technician (Leicester Royal infirmary-Child Health)
- 1988-1994 Clinical Physiologist (Charing Cross Hospital, London)
- 1994-1998 PostDoc RA (Imperial College London-Neurophysiology)
- 1998-2003 Research Scientist (Harvard School of Public Health)
- 2004-2010 Lecturer (Imperial College London-NHLI)
- 2010-2011 Research Scientist (Stoke Mandeville Hospital-UKSCIRN)