Mechanics, Materials and Design (MMD)
This group combines research expertise in mechanics, materials and design.
- Mechanics - the group has expertise in structure-borne sound source characterisation, vibration and sound transmission and dynamic system parameter estimation.
- Materials - the group works on the development of material manufacturing processes and investigates strain rate sensitivity, temperature dependency, residual stresses, strength, wear and fatigue life of materials and structures.
- Design - the group has developed products to meet customer specifications in a wide range of fields from sustainable bicycles to orthopaedic supports.
The MMD group has developed new metal alloys and is working on elongating the life of artificial knee joint replacements. The group has many contacts with industry and has worked recently on projects such as:
- reducing noise within electric motors
- improving the manufacturing process of Metal Matrix Composites
- determining the life of AGR nuclear reactor graphite bricks.
|Dr Olga Barrera||Reader in Mechanical Engineeringemail@example.com|
|Professor James Broughton||Professor in Engineeringfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Professor John Durodola||Professor in Mechanical Engineering and Mathematical Sciencesemail@example.com|
|Dr Neil Fellows||Reader in Mechanical Engineeringfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Shpend Gerguri||Reader in Engineering Designemail@example.com|
|Mr Douglas Higgison||Programme Leadfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Alessio Peluso||Teaching Fellow in Engineeringemail@example.com|
|Dr Marco Raugei||Senior Lecturer and Senior Research Fellow in Mechanical Engineeringfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Stephen Samuel||Reader in Mechanical Engineeringemail@example.com|
|Dr Anand Thite||Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineeringfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Professor Iakovos Tzanakis||Professor in Engineering Materialsemail@example.com|