“...the myriad of ways in which the activity and benefits of higher education and research can be shared with the public. Engagement is by definition a two-way process, involving interaction and listening, with the goal of generating mutual benefit.”
National Co-ordinating Centre for Public Engagement
The PEN at Oxford Brookes University is sponsored by Prof Linda King, Pro-Vice Chancellor for Research and Global Partnerships, and led by Prof Anna Nekaris (Professor in Anthropology and Primate Conservation and Public Engagement and Outreach Lead) and Dr Ellie Beaman (Postdoctoral Research Assistant and Public Engagement and Outreach Deputy Lead) in cross-University roles, in collaboration with colleagues from Faculties and Directorates.
Through PEN we wish to bring together researchers interested in public engagement, and support and promote their activities.
We also want to broadcast these activities to the public, and serve as a portal for the public to learn about and participate in engagement activities happening at Oxford Brookes University.
Our objectives are:
- to be a first point of contact for PE advice
- to support researchers in their PE activities by providing training and resources
- to promote opportunities to participate in larger PE events
- to provide examples of case studies; to capture and help promote PE activity
- to improve communication across Faculties to encourage PE collaboration and increase impact
- to recognise excellence in PE
- to collaborate with internal and external teams and networks
- to increase student participation in PE
- to make PE activities accessible to the public.