How do I apply to university?

Applications to full-time higher education courses in the UK are made through UCAS. You apply using an online application system. Your school or college will give you a buzzword that lets you login.

When you’ve applied, you can check the progress of your application using UCAS Hub.

  • You can make up to 5 choices on UCAS.
  • You can apply for more than one course at a university. Most people choose the same or similar courses at 5 different universities.
  • You cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.
  • If you apply to medicine, dentistry or veterinary science, you can only make 4 choices in one of these subjects. You can add a further choice in a different subject as well.

You can find out more about the application process on our applying through UCAS web page.

Check out our application timeline to find out what you need to do and when to do it. Remember, your school or college will have their own deadline to make sure they have time to check your application and write your references. You should start your research as soon as possible!

Things to remember

  • Decide whether you want to take a gap year before you apply.
  • You can view a tour of the application form before you start your application.
  • Find out whether you’ll need to take any admissions tests eg the UKCAT for medical or dental courses.
  • Check whether you need to have done some work experience to apply for the course.
  • Book time with your tutor to go over your personal statement so they can give you feedback.
  • Get your teacher or careers adviser to check your application.
  • Make sure you declare any disabilities or special circumstances in the relevant section of the application form.
  • Double check that all your details are correct - address, email, qualifications and course codes. Mistakes can delay your application.
  • If you’re confused about your options if you have no offers (or decline your offers), check out this guide to UCAS Extra.
  • Indicate any disabilities when applying for student finance - you might be eligible for the Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA).