Universities have a lot of facilities to support you (both personally and in your studies). Make sure you find out what is available. If you need a specific type of support, this could be the deciding factor when you’re choosing universities.

Specific support

With planning and preparation, higher education is accessible for many people with disabilities. The most important thing to do is contact your chosen universities and ask them about the specific support you need.

Extensive support is available from universities and the government to help you adapt to university life and meet your learning needs.

Support is available for:

  • Dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties.
  • Visual impairments.
  • Hearing impairments.
  • Mobility difficulties.
  • Medical and mental health conditions.
  • Autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
  • A wide range of conditions (contact the university to discuss options).

Types of support vary, and usually include:

  • Ability to record lectures and seminars.
  • Adapted accommodation.
  • Converted teaching and learning materials into a format that is accessible for you.
  • Disabled Students’ Adviser.
  • Note takers, readers or library helpers.
  • Provision of specialist equipment such as screen readers and computer software.
  • Sign language interpreters.
  • Special exam arrangements eg extra time or use of computer.
  • Specialist study skills support.

Disabled Students’ Allowance

DSA grants are designed to help pay for extra course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability. The amount you receive depends on the type of extra help you need (not your household income).

Things to remember

  • Contact your chosen universities early to find out about the support available.
  • Visit the university - accessible campus tours can often be arranged if you need one.
  • Meet the university’s Disability Adviser before enrolment to discuss special arrangements.
  • Proof of your disability or condition may be required. This could be a letter or assessment from your doctor or specialist.
  • Disclose your disability on your UCAS form. This is not compulsory, but helps the universities prepare the best arrangements for you.

Useful links