Find a courseExpand
Professional Doctorate in Midwifery
The Professional Doctorate in Midwifery (DMid) is a part-time doctoral programme that will enable you to study whilst continuing in your current midwifery role. The programme aims to nurture independent, critically reflective and competent researchers who are equipped to lead and develop Midwifery research, either independently or as part of a team.
The DMid will provide you with the opportunity to:
- develop research skills and knowledge
- experience our world class research institute OxINMAHR
- study midwifery theory and practice with a cohort of like-minded individuals
- develop research skills in order to carry out doctoral level research
- research specific issues of professional relevance and concern in depth
- develop a strong research-practitioner community
- study the methodology of healthcare research.
It culminates in a research project that is focused on practice and makes a new contribution to midwifery knowledge. It offers a vehicle to launch and develop clinical academic careers.
The aims of the DMid are to:
- provide a deeper knowledge, understanding and awareness of midwifery, and a critical awareness of the political, historical and cultural landscape impacting on the profession
- develop and produce independent, reflective and competent researchers
- promote critical self reflection and knowledge acquisition
- help professionals to manage their own learning in order to promote high levels of critical understanding and professional application.
Why Oxford Brookes University?
Learning and assessment
The DMid is taught alongside our sister DNurs programme, and develops students over a 5 year period.
The first 2 years are delivered in a modular format, through face to face teaching and online activities. The last 3 years explore an area of practice through independent research.
The programme has been designed to support the development of an increasingly active and independent researcher and writer by providing a blend of learning approaches designed to promote intellectual autonomy. These include:
- face-to-face seminars and workshop activities
- guided online activities
- student-led seminars
- and individual tutorial and supervision sessions.
How to apply
Find out more about fees and funding opportunities by visiting our finance web pages:
- Postgraduate finance for UK students »
- Postgraduate finance for EU students »
- Postgraduate finance for students outside the EU »
Fees increase by approximately 4% each year and apply to all MPhil, MPhil/PhD, PhD, MA by Research, MSc by Research and LLM by Research programmes.
If you have any questions about fees get in touch with the Research Degrees Team at firstname.lastname@example.org