In some circumstances you may need to use libraries other than our own. Your Academic Liaison Librarian will be pleased to help and advise you.
Bodleian Libraries - information for Oxford Brookes staff and students
The Bodleian Library is the main research library of the University of Oxford.
It is also a copyright deposit library, which means that a copy of all British publications should be deposited in its collections by the publisher under copyright law. The Bodleian Libraries Group includes, amongst many others, the (central) Bodleian Library, Radcliffe Science Library, Sackler Library and the Bodleian Social Science Library.
Use SOLO - the catalogue of the major collections of the University of Oxford - to find out what is available.
For more information about the Bodleian Library visit their webpages.
How to apply for a Bodleian Reader card
Research students and staff: apply directly online to the Bodleian Admissions Office for a Reader card.
Undergraduate and taught postgraduate students: may only apply for vacation access:
- Download and complete the application form, including the statement of research need
- Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include:
- a copy of one personal photo ID document (eg. passport, driving licence);
- one proof of permanent home address (eg. recent bank statement, utility bill);
- clear proof of your academic status and its duration (eg. a copy of your student card if it shows academic status and a valid end date, or else an official letter from Brookes);
- a recent photo (preferably JPeg format).
Bodleian Admissions staff will then review your application and email you with the steps to complete the application process.
SCONUL Access Scheme (currently suspended)
The SCONUL Access Scheme is currently suspended. No existing SCONUL Access card holders will be able to use the facilities of other institutions. We will not be processing any new SCONUL Access applications.
M25 Consortium Libraries
Covid-19 notice: Students wishing to use the Access25 scheme should check individual library web pages for up to date information on their service.
Access25 is the M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries' scheme which allows mutual access to more than 50 libraries in London and south east England. Brookes postgraduate research students and staff are eligible to join the scheme. Other Brookes students are recommended to use the SCONUL Access Scheme instead.
Oxfordshire History Centre (pre-booking recommended)
The Oxfordshire History Centre, run by Oxfordshire County Council, looks after historic documents relating to the county from about 1150 to the present day. It is located at St Luke's Church, Temple Road, Cowley. If you wish to look at original records, you will need to register for a County Archive Research Network (CARN) ticket.
Other Library catalogues
Most university websites include a link to their library catalogue, or these services may be helpful:
- SOLO - the catalogue of the major collections of the University of Oxford.
- British Library Main Catalogue
- Library Hub Discover search provides a means of searching the Library catalogues of more than 100 major UK and Irish libraries, including the British Library, many university libraries and specialist research libraries.
- LibrarySearch can search more than 10,000 worldwide libraries if you choose to search beyond Oxford Brookes or explore deeper into the lists of all editions and formats.
- MASC25 (Mapping Access to Special Collections in the London Region) is an online resource guide to printed special collections in some university libraries in the M25 Consortium.