Dr Annabel Williams
EdD, MSc (Critical Care), BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy FHEA
I joined Oxford Brookes in 2020. I work as a Senior Lecturer in Physiotherapy with specific interest in Cardiorespiratory Physiotherapy and EDI (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion).
I have previously worked as a clinical physiotherapist specializing in adult critical care.
I am the admissions lead for the pre registration MSc Physiotherapy programme.
Teaching and supervision
I am module leader for:
- Physiotherapy Management of Long Term Conditions
- BSc Physiotherapy Dissertation Module
- BSc Physiotherapy Research Methods Module
|Elizabeth King||Living with MSK impairments following critical illness||Active|
My research focuses on identity and diversity in education.
Centres and institutes
Gonçalves A-C, Williams A, Koulouglioti C, Leckie T, Hunter A, Fitzpatrick D, Richardson A, Hardy B, Venn R, Hodgson L , 'Surviving severe COVID-19: Interviews with patients, informal carers and health professionals'
Nursing in Critical Care [online first] (2022)
ISSN: 1362-1017 eISSN: 1478-5153Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Norris M, Hammond J, Williams A, Walker S , 'Student explorations for the reasons for attainment inequalities in pre-registration physiotherapy students with unseen disabilities: A qualitative study.'
BMC Medical Education 20 (2020)
ISSN: 1472-6920Abstract Published here
Hammond J, Williams A, Walker S, Norris M , 'Working hard to belong: a qualitative study exploring students from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic groups experiences of pre-registration physiotherapy education. '
BMC Medical Education 19 (2019)
ISSN: 1472-6920Abstract Published here
Cassidy E, Norris M, Williams A , 'What does it take to graduate? A Qualitative Exploration of the Perceptions of Successful Physiotherapy Graduates'
Physiotherapy Theory and Practice 36 (2) (2018) pp.316-332
ISSN: 0959-3985Abstract Published here
Norris M, Hammond J, Williams A, Grant R, Naylor S, Rozario C , 'Individual student characteristics and attainment in pre-registration physiotherapy: a retrospective multi-site cohort study. '
Physiotherapy 104 (4) (2018) pp.446-452
ISSN: 0031-9406Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Norris M, Hammond J, Williams A, Walker S. Exploring attainment inequality in physiotherapy education: A mixed methods approach. WCPT, Geneva (May 2019)
- Stiger R, Williams A, Cui H, Williams M, Collett J. The patient perspectives of a monitored home exercise prehabilitation intervention before major urological cancer surgery. A qualitative study. ‘Exercise and Oncology: tailoring to the individual’ Conference, Marsden (September 2021)
- Norris M, Hammond J, Williams A, Walker S. Student explorations of the reason for disability attainment inequalities in pre-registration physiotherapy: a qualitative study of ‘unseen’ disabilities. Physiotherapy UK Conference, Birmingham (October 2018)
- Williams A, Hammond J. Attainment and success of students from underrepresented backgrounds in pre-registration Physiotherapy education in the UK. Higher Education Academy NET Conference, Churchill College, Cambridge (September 2017)
- Hammond J, Norris M, Williams A. Addressing attainment inequalities for underrepresented students in healthcare education. Lessons learned from a regional study in physiotherapy education. Council of Deans Meeting, Birmingham (May 2017).
- Roskell C, Hammond J, Williams A ‘Who do you think you are?’ Physiotherapy UK Conference, Liverpool (October 2015).
- Williams A, Norris M, Cassidy E, Naylor S, Shiers P, Marsden L (2013) Project to explore relationship between ethnicity and success in the BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy degree at Brunel University, Physiotherapy UK Conference, Birmingham (October 2013).
- Williams A (2011) An exploratory pilot study evaluating the use of educational modelling on the development of professional identity of physiotherapy students. School of Education Research Conference, University of Birmingham (December 2012)
External Examiner MSc and BSc Physiotherapy Programmes University of Bolton (2020-21), BSc Physiotherapy, University of Bolton (2021 -2024)