Currently I am a senior lecturer in the International Centre for Coaching & Mentoring Studies (ICCaMs). My main activities include teaching and supervising on our Doctorate in Coaching & Mentoring, MA in Coaching and Mentoring Practice and the MA/MSc programmes in Human Resource Management. I also undertake doctoral research supervision across the Business School.
I also support the delivery of our ILM Level 7 in Executive Coaching and Mentoring certificate and organise the Oxford Brookes Coaching & Mentoring Society (OBCaMs) network events across the academic year. I am a member of the core team of the PESE Sustainable Mentoring schemes initiative at Oxford Brookes University and lead the STAMINa Mentoring Network which focuses on sharing best practice across mentoring schemes and offering support to mentoring scheme coordinators.
Prior to my current role I was the Programme Lead Postgraduate Programmes Hospitality (September 2011-2015) and an Oxford Brookes Teaching Fellow 2012-2014. In this role I have led and managed Postgraduate Programmes redevelopment and validation projects working with large and small teams across academic and administrative areas within the Faculty and across the wider University.
In 2008/9 I founded the Bacchus Mentoring programme – where 200 industry executives mostly Alumni act as mentors for PG and UG students - for more information see Video of Bacchus Mentoring scheme, Bacchus Mentoring Scheme in the Food Service Management sector, Oxford Brookes University - Bacchus Mentoring Scheme . I have supported several other University departments (Accountancy, Real Estate and Law) in setting up and running Alumni mentoring schemes for students transitioning from postgraduate and undergraduate programmes.
Teaching and supervision
- Leading, Managing & Developing People
- Coaching & Mentoring in Organisations
- Doctoral Research Design – taught doctorate component module
I have also led and tutored on the following modules:
- Research Methods
- Intercultural Leadership
- Mentoring & Leadership Development
- Leadership & Professional Development
- International Human Resource Management
- Contemporary Issues in International Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Career Planning for Hospitality & Tourism
- Managing People in International Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Intercultural Management for Hospitality & Tourism Businesses
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate dissertation supervision
Doctoral Supervision and Internal Examiner duties
I am currently supervising
- PhDs on the topics of coaching and talent management, expatriation and localisation, IHRM and academia, alternative forms of organising, HRM, service quality and knowledge sharing
- DCaMs on the topics of coaching and mentoring for women's development, coaching and mentoring organisations, group coaching and coaching for self-belief
I have successfully supervised 5 Doctorates in Coaching and Mentoring (DCaM) and 2 PhDs at Oxford Brookes University.
- Washington, R. How does a developmental mentoring model prevent toxicity? Doctorate in Coaching & Mentoring - Second Supervisor
- Worth, S. An exploration of how coaching can help women to be authentic at work, Doctorate in Coaching & Mentoring - Second Supervisor
- Towell, M. Coaching in appraisal conversations and improvements in performance at work, Doctorate in Coaching & Mentoring - Second Supervisor
- Salter, T. How the mentor and coach differ in their approach, Doctorate in Coaching & Mentoring - Director of Studies
- De Valle, P. Breaking Glass: An exploration of womens experience of executive coaching and mentoring, Doctorate in Coaching & Mentoring - Director of Studies
- Bonneywell, S. Exploring the experience of simultaneous individual and group coaching of female leaders in a multinational organisation, Doctorate in Coaching & Mentoring, 2017 - Director of Studies
- Pereira, P. Work-life Performance: A Male Professional Perspective on Work-life Balance PhD – Director of Studies
- Situmorang, R. Exploring the expatriation and localisation of managers in the international hotel industry: a case study from Jakarta, Indonesia, PhD – Director of Studies
External Examiner duties
I have externally examined at Doctoral level at the University of Derby, the University of Leicester, Northumbria University, Southampton Solent University, the University of Raboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands and Sheffield Hallam University.
|Janine Roberts||Working with emotions in leadership coaching||Active|
|Christine Vitzthum||How do coaches and organisational stakeholders approach coaching to support gender diversity?||Active|
My research builds upon my doctoral thesis and previous experiences and centres around the themes of
Coaching and Mentoring
- Coaching for Wellbeing
- Coaching and Mentoring in Organisations
- Mentoring scheme coordination and sharing best practices across mentoring schemes
International Human Resource Management and Development
- The development and management of international managerial resources
- Risk management and IHRM
Doctoral Research Supervision
- Experiences of supervising doctoral students across traditional and professional doctorates
Research grants and awards
- ESRC IAA Knowledge Exchange Dialogue: Sharing Good Practice in Mentoring scheme growth and sustainability, awarded July 2016 – in collaboration with the Radcliffe Department of Medicine, University of Oxford and the University of Reading. This has led to the development of the STAMINa network for mentoring scheme sustainability
- Completing fieldwork for ISGrant ‘Supervising Doctorates: Exploring and comparing experiences of supervisors’ encounters with PhD and Professional Doctoral candidates, Business School, ISG Round 11 April 2016
- STAMINa mentoring network - sharing good practice across mentoring schemes and supporting mentoring scheme coordinators
- Supervising Doctorates: Exploring and comparing experiences of supervisors
- The Skilled Coachee - with EMCC research colleagues
Centres and institutes
Gannon JM, 'Applying the lens of Social Movements to Coaching and Mentoring'
Philosophy of Coaching: An International Journal 6 (1) (2021) pp.5-29
ISSN: 2371-5251Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Bonneywell S, Gannon JM, 'Maximising female leader development through simultaneous individual and group coaching'
Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice Online first (2021)
ISSN: 1752-1882 eISSN: 1752-1890Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
J M GANNON, 'Mobility and Mentoring: Supporting Socialization in International Service Firms'
International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring 18 (1) (2020) pp.3-19
ISSN: 1741-8305Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Eissner SE, Gannon JM, 'Experiences of Mentoring in the UK Hospitality Sector'
Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism 17 (3) (2018) pp.296-313
ISSN: 1533-2845 eISSN: 1533-2853Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Bachkirova T, Jackson P, Gannon J, Iordanou I, Myers A, 'Re-conceptualising coach education from the perspectives of pragmatism and constructivism'
Philosophy of Coaching: An International Journal 2 (2) (2017) pp.29-50
ISSN: 2371-5251Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gannon JM, Paraskevas A, 'In the Line of Fire: managing expatriates in hostile environments'
International Journal of Human Resource Management 30 (11) (2017) pp.1737-1768
ISSN: 0958-5192 eISSN: 1466-4399Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gannon JM, Rodrigo Z, Santomà R, 'Learning to work interculturally and virtually: Developing postgraduate hospitality management students across international HE institutions'
International Journal of Management Education 14 (1) (2016) pp.18-27
ISSN: 1472-8117Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Salter T, Gannon J M, 'Exploring shared and distinctive aspects of coaching and mentoring approaches through six disciplines'
European Journal of Training and Development 39 (5) (2015) pp.373-392
ISSN: 2046-9012 eISSN: 2046-9020Abstract Published here
Gannon JM, Roper A, Doherty L, 'Strategic human resource management: Insights from the international hotel industry'
International Journal of Hospitality Management 47 (May) (2015) pp.65-75
ISSN: 0278-4319 eISSN: 1873-4693Abstract Published here
Gannon J, Maher A, 'Developing Tomorrow's Talent through and Undergraduate Mentoring Programme'
Education and Training 54 (6) (2012) pp.440-455
ISSN: 0040-0912Abstract Published here
Gannon J, Doherty E, Roper A, 'The Role of Strategic Groups in understanding Strategic Human Resource Management'
Personnel Review 41 (4) (2012)
ISSN: 0048-3486 eISSN: 1758-6933Abstract Published here
Brookes M, Altinay L, Gannon J, 'Internationalization of the hospitality industry : editorial'
International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 23 (2) (2011) pp.144-146
ISSN: 0959-6119 eISSN: 1757-1049Published here
Gannon J, Roper A, Doherty E, 'The impact of hotel management contracting on IHRM practices: Understanding the bricks and brains split'
International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 22 (5) (2010)
ISSN: 0959-6119 eISSN: 1757-1049Published here Open Access on RADAR
Altinay L, Altinay E, Gannon J, 'Exploring the relationship between the human resource management practices and growth in small service firms'
Service Industries Journal 28 (7) (2008) pp.919-937
ISSN: 0264-2069 eISSN: 1743-9507Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
I have advised a variety of organisations on the following topics: employment conditions, gender and diversity, coaching and mentoring interventions, how to develop and sustain mentoring schemes, internationalisation, professional development
- Gannon, J.M. (2017) "Mentoring scheme coordinators – lost voices" presented at UfHRD conference University of Lisbon, Portugal.
- Bonneywell, S. & Gannon, J.M. (2017) "Simultaneous individual and group coaching: a powerful development mechanism for women in a multinational organisation" presented at UfHRD conference University of Lisbon, Portugal.
- Invited speaker on "Mentoring programme Sustainability" at the Mentoring Professionals Conference, at The University of Manchester
- Gannon, J.M. (2016) "Doing it for themselves: Mentoring and Corporate: Socialisation control in International Hotel Companies" presented at UfHRD conference Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Worth, S and Gannon, J.M. (2016) "Learning together – first experiences on a professional doctorate: perspectives from students and supervisors", presented at 5th International Conference of Professional Doctorates, Titanic Belfast, March
- Gannon, J.M. Santoma, R. & Rodriguez, Z. (2015) "Simulating The Intercultural and Virtual World Of Work For Postgraduate Hospitality And Tourism Management Students", Full paper accepted for EuroCHRIE, Manchester Metropolitan University, delivered by Dr R Santoma
- Gannon, J.M. Santoma, R. & Rodriguez, Z. (2014) "Simulating The Intercultural and Virtual World Of Work For Postgraduate Hospitality And Tourism Management Students", Full paper accepted for 2nd International Forum on Tourism Education and Training and 9th China Tourism Forum, Guilin, China 16-18 Oct 2014 Guilin, China – being delivered by Dr R Santoma
- Gannon, J.M. Santoma, R. & Rodriguez, Z. (2014) "Developing Intercultural and Virtual Team working skills in International Hospitality & Tourism Masters students", International Research Collaboration Conference, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK.
- Gannon, J.M. (2010) "Developing Tomorrows Talent: Tales from an Undergraduate Mentoring Programme" full paper presented at the CHME Research conference, University of Surrey, UK
- Gannon, J.M. (2009) "The role of managers in knowledge transfer and capability leverage across the international hotel industry: the HRM perspective" work in progress paper presented at the 4th International Conference on Services Management, Barcelo Hotel, Oxford.
- Gannon, J.M. (2007) "Levels of HRD across Global Competitors in International Service Organisations" full paper presented at the 8th International Conference in HRD Research and Practice, Oxford Brookes University
- Graves, S.C. & Gannon, J.M. (2007) "Managing Managers and Risk in the International Hotel Industry" full paper presented at the CHME Research conference, Oxford Brookes University
- Gannon, J.M. (2007) "The Role of Strategic Groups in understanding Strategic Human Resource Management in the International Hotel Industry" - full paper presented to 22nd Workshop on Strategic Human Resource Management EIASM Brussels
- Gannon, J.M. (2006) "Educating for an International Industry: The Case for Intercultural awareness and skills teaching on Hospitality and Tourism Management programmes" presented at the SIETAR UK Middlesex University
I have undertaken a variety of consultancy projects including
- Developing mentoring schemes for business collaboration
- Mentoring and socialisation programmes for hotel groups
- Enhancing the career opportunities of disadvantaged groups in the hospitality industry
- Advised and supported other Universities on developing alumni mentoring schemes
- Strategic and international human resource management approaches and practices for management development in international hotel companies
- Investigating the risk and management of human resources in international service organisations.
- Exploring the human resource practices adopted by entrepreneurs in small service firms.
- Exploring intercultural skills development amongst international hospitality and tourism managers and students.
- Developing virtual and intercultural skills amongst business and management students
- Supporting international students in the UK HE system
Associate editor for the International Journal for Evidence based Coaching and Mentoring.
Regular reviewer for: International Journal of Human Resource Management; Work, Employment & Society; Personnel Review; Education + Training; Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: an international journal; the International Journal of Hospitality Management and the International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.