BSc Subject Coordinator for Occupational Therapy
Curriculum design and implementation lead for sustainable occupational therapy
Currently teaching across a range of modules within the occupational therapy program as well as interprofession modules. I lead and coordinate modules that focus on occupational therapy for older adults as well as on advancing occupational therapy for contemporary practice.
I supervise dissertations at both BSc and MSc (pre-reg) level and visit students on practice placements.
I have a broad clinical experience across hospital and community settings within the NHS, non-governmental organisation, and overseas working with children and adults with physical and mental health conditions as well as experiencing difficulties for socio economic participation due to poverty and family consequences.
Areas of expertise
- Community physical rehabilitation with the elderly, including reablement, hospital admission avoidance, moving and handling and equipment provision to enable daily activities
- Acute mental health with working age adults, including group therapy and supported employment for enduring mental health conditions and early interventions for psychosis
- Sustainable healthcare education and teaching sustainable quality improvement interprofessionally
Teaching and supervision
I teach modules across BSc and MSc (pre-reg) occupational therapy programmes as well as interprofessionally.
Key themes of my teaching includes:
- Health informatics skills and critical thinking;
- Occupational therapy and occupational science theories;
- Sustainable occupational therapy for adults, elderly and vulnerable populations across the lifespan;
- Sustainable quality improvement as leadership skills for AHP;
- Communication strategies for dementia using simulation;
- Research literacy and dissertation supervision.
My interest includes:
- Sustainable health and wellbeing across the lifespan for people and the planet
- Healthy ageing
- Clinical reasoning and cultural influences on occupational therapy practice around the world
- Occupational therapy and occupational science
Centres and institutes
Memberships of professional bodies
- Royal College of Occupational Therapy (National Executive Committee Member for the specialist section: older people)
- Coordinator of the sustainable occupational therapy education and research group
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy