Dr Sola Adesola
PhD, FHEA, MRes, LLM, LLB (Hons)
Senior Lecturer in Business and Management
Oxford Brookes Business School
Senior Lecturer in International Organisations & Law | EDI Lead
Teaching and supervision
Sola is the module leader for Managing International Organisations, a compulsory module of the Brookes MSc Management and MSc International Management and International Relations. She also leads an undergraduate module on Corporate and Business Law.
- Corporate & Business Law
- International Markets & Competition
- Critical Enquiry Research Project
- Managing International Organisations
International Buddy Roles:
- Global Corporate and Business Law - Chengdu University of Technology
- BSc in Accountancy
- 6 PhD Completion; 5 PhD (ongoing)
- MSc Dissertation Supervision
- MBA Dissertation supervision
|Anthony Ebow Spio||An exploration of women entrepreneurs’ competency development process in pursuit of entrepreneurial opportunities in the manufacturing sector in Ghana||Active|
|Amina Mahmood Yakubu||Gender and Education: An Economic Analysis of Returns to Education in Nigeria||Active|
Sola's research interests cover areas of:
- Entrepreneurship education, role model, entrepreneurial university
- University-Industry Government interactions
- Women spinouts and academic entrepreneurship
- Energy policy & international business, energy education, stakeholder engagement
- Business process improvement
- Exploratory investigation into Women's spinouts and academic entrepreneurship in Nigeria.
Sola is a qualitative researcher with strong process-based approach to research and a keen interest for interdisciplinarity.
Research group membership
- Research Centre for Business, Society and Global Challenges.
- COSiNUS Network - Universities and Innovation
- Member, Africa Academy of Management
- Member, Academy of Africa Business Development (AABD)
- Member, Academy of International Business SSA Chapter (membership in view)
- Founding Co-Chair, Nigerian Enterprise Educators Network (NEEN)
Research grants and awards
SUCCESSFUL RESEARCH GRANTS
- COSINUS -University-Industry- Government Conference 2018 (Co-Investigator). Funded by Brookes International Small Grant Scheme. 2017-2018. Grant Value: £3,754.00
- Enterprise Education for Employability (Principal Investigator). Funded by British Council 2009 - 2011. Grant Value: £49,900. Duration: 18 months
- European-Africa Student Entrepreneurship Competencies (Principal Investigator). Co-funded by Joint Brookes International Small Grant Scheme and Burgundy School of Business, Dijon, France. 2011-2012. Grant Value: £14.500
- Nominated for Brookes People Award 2015 Individual Award for ‘Generosity of Spirit’, voted by staff
- Award Winner 2014 ‘Outstanding Achiever in Education’ from the Nigeria UK Based Achiever’s Award
- Award Winner of 2009 ‘Best of Nigeria Education Award’ from the Nigerian Achievers Award Institute
- Certificate of Appreciation from Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation Europe (NIDOE)
- 5th International COSINUS 2018 Conference (Co-Organiser)- “Innovation Systems and the New Role of Universities Held 11-12 January 2018, Oxford Brookes University
- European-Africa Student Entrepreneurship Competencies - Nigeria (Principal Investigator). Co-funded by Joint Brookes International Small Grant Scheme and Burgundy School of Business, Dijon, France. 2011-2012. Grant Value: £14.500
- Enterprise education for employability in Nigeria (Principal Investigator). Funded by British Council, 2009 - 2011, Value: £49,900.
- ‘Insight into Africa Higher Education’ (Organiser) Africa Business Forum, Oxford Brookes University, May 2010, Oxford
- Strategic positioning: an integrated decision process for manufacturers - (Research Fellow). Funded by EPSRC/IMRC, 2002-2005. Cranfield University
- Coordinating the Human Performance Modelling research network (HPMNet). Funded by EPSRC/IMRC, 2002-2005. Cranfield University
The knowledge generated by our research on enterprise education in Nigeria contributed to the establishment of the Nigerian Enterprise Education Network and the 1st Africa Enterprise Education Conference held in Lagos, Nigeria in 2013. The outcome of the Student entrepreneurship study led to a facebook page to monitor students' progress on their entrepreneurial journey. Two of the participants have since the study set up their food supply chain and fashion house businesses in Ibadan, Nigeria.
5th COSINUS CONFERENCE 2018 LINKS:
Diversifying the Curriculum: Knowledge Sources for Inclusive Learning
Centres and institutes
Projects as Principal Investigator, or Lead Academic if project is led by another Institution
- University spinouts: exploring women participation in the Nigerian Universities (01/04/2020 - 30/09/2022), funded by: British Academy, funding amount received by Brookes: £10,000
Datta S, Adesola S, 'Editorial, Special Issue: Meeting Global Challenges through University‐Industry‐Community‐Government (UICG) Interactions'
International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development 20 (3) (2021) pp.215-218
ISSN: 1474-2748 eISSN: 2040-0551Published here
Lagoke O, Adesola S, Soname S, 'Social Network Analysis as a methodological tool to understand University-Industry Dynamism in enhancing HEIs curriculum - A case of Nigerian Oil Industry'
Studies in Higher Education 46 (11) (2020) pp.2417-2430
ISSN: 0307-5079 eISSN: 1470-174XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Adesola S, den Outer B, Mueller S, 'New entrepreneurial worlds: can the use of role models in higher education inspire students? The case of Nigeria'
Journal of Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies 11 (4) (2019) pp.465-491
ISSN: 2053-4604 eISSN: 2053-4612Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Datta S, Adesola S, 'Special Issue: Universities in the Innovation Triad'
International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development 17 (3) (2018) pp.197-202
ISSN: 1474-2748 eISSN: 2040-0551Published here Open Access on RADAR
Kolawole A, Adesola S, De Vita G, 'Factors that drive energy use in Africa: Panel Data evidence from selected SSA Countries'
OPEC Energy Review 41 (4) (2017) pp.364-380
ISSN: 1753-0229 eISSN: 1753-0237Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Somorin TO, Adesola S, Kolawole A, 'State-level assessment of the waste-to-energy potential (via incineration) of municipal solid wastes in Nigeria'
Journal of Cleaner Production 164 (2017) pp.804-815
ISSN: 0959-6526 eISSN: 1879-1786Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Kolawole A, Adesola S, De Vita G, 'A Disaggregated Analysis of Energy Demand in Sub-Saharan Africa'
International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy 7 (2) (2017) pp.224-235
ISSN: 2146-4553Abstract Open Access on RADAR
De Vita G, Lagoke O, Adesola S, 'Nigerian oil and gas industry local content development: A stakeholder analysis'
Public Policy and Administration 31 (1) (2015) pp.51-79
ISSN: 0952-0767 eISSN: 1749-4192Abstract Published here
Baines, T. S; Adesola, S; Gwyn, K; and Higson, M., 'Strategic positioning: creating competitive space for manufacture'
Operations Management 31 (3) (2005)
Baines T, Kay G, Adesola S, Higson M, 'Strategic positioning: an integrated decision process for manufacturers'
International Journal of Operations & Production Management 25 (2005) pp.180-201
ISSN: 0144-3577Abstract Published here
Adesola, S. and Baines, T. S, 'Developing and evaluating a methodology for business process improvement'
Business Process Management Journal (2005)
ISSN: 1463-7154Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Diversifying Leadership Alumnus, AdvanceHE
- Member, Africa Academy of Management
- Member, Academy of International Business (membership application in process)
- Member, International Academy of Africa Business Development (IAABD)
- Founding Co-Chair, Nigerian Enterprise Educators Network (NEEN)
- Member, British Academy of Management
- Committee Member, Race Equality Working Group, Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS)
- Editorial Board - International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development (Current)
- Guest Editor - International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development - 2018-2019
- Member of the Editorial Board - Transnational Marketing Journal
Reviewer Roles: journals and conferences
- Reviewer of the 5th Cosinus Conference 2018
- Panel Moderator, Entrepreneurial University-Myth or Reality, 5th Cosinus Conference 11th-12th January 2018, Oxford Brookes University
- Editor and review, Energy in Africa-Policy, Management and Sustainability
- Reviewer of International Journal of Production Research (IJPR)
- Reviewer Journal of Environmental Development
- Panel Reviewer Nigeria Energy Forum Conference 2016
- Reviewer of British Academy of Management 2017 – Entrepreneurship Stream
- Reviewer International Academy of Africa Business and Development (IAABD)(Conference)
- University of Bedfordshire Business School– MSc External Examiner - Current
- SAID Business School - MBA External Examiner - Current
- Academic Independent Consultancy Project: Impact Assessment of Entrepreneurship Education on Students of Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria – April-June 2012
Executive Programmes - 2009 - 2011
- FIVE revenue generated leadership programmes for senior managers and academics from Nigeria to Oxford Brookes University.
2021 Brookes Teaching Feedback & Communication Award Winner
Cranfield University alumnus Dr Sola Adesola is an international management and law specialist, researcher and director of studies with research interests in entrepreneurial role model, entrepreneurship development, energy policy, and university-industry collaboration, particularly university spinout. Sola has produced five successful PhDs and currently supervises four PhD researchers. She leads PG and UG modules in international organisations and corporate & business law respectively. She is currently a Visiting Professor at Kigali Business School, Rwanda and previiously a Visiting Associate Professor at Kwara State University, Ilorin, Nigeria
She won grant awards from Oxford Brookes University and British Council and has published in leading international journals, participated in national and international conferences and co-organised a number of conferences including the COSINUS 2018 International Conference and the 1st Africa Enterprise Education Conference 2013.
Dr Sola co-edited a book with Professor Feargal Brennan on “Energy in Africa: Policy, Management and Sustainability”, Palgrave Macmillan. In 2018-2019 she serves as a co-guest editor for the International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development Special Issue on “Innovation Systems and the New Role of Universities”. Sola is currently working on another editorial book volume on ‘Entrepreneurial Universities -Creating Institutional Innovation in Times of Turbulence" to be published by Palgrave in 2020
She is a buddy to international franchise programmes, validation panel expert, and external examiner at undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD levels. Sola is an Editorial Board member of the International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development; and Transnational Marketing Journal.
She is a prominent representative in the race and gender equality agenda at Brookes, as well as representing Africa matters through OBU Africa Forum. She is an Athena SWAN and EDI Champion in the Oxford Brookes Business School, and acts as a catalyst to institutional policy on race and diversifying leadership on the Race Equality Steering Group and Race Equality Action Group. She is a BME Diversifying Leadership Champion from the AdvanceHE.
She is passionate about sharing her career trajectory and encouraging BME early career academics, (read her story here), as well as developing leadership in students and young adults. Sola is a multi-award winner, received the “2009 Best of Nigeria Education Award” by the Nigerian Achievers Award Institute, UK; and “Outstanding Achiever in Education” in 2014 by the Nigeria UK Achiever’s Award and also. In 2015, Sola was nominated for the Brookes People Individual Award for ‘Generosity of Spirit’. Apart from her work, Sola supports the Multifaith Chaplaincy running the lunch time ‘Finding God @Brookes Bible Study’.