The University’s external examining policy - which is based on the expectations of the 2013 UK Quality Code for Higher Education – outlines the role of the external examiner as being to comment and advise on:
- whether the University is maintaining the threshold academic standards set for its awards, in accordance with the frameworks for higher education qualifications and applicable subject benchmark statements;
- whether the assessment process measures student achievement rigorously and fairly against the intended learning outcomes of the programme/s and is conducted in accordance with the University’s policies and regulations;
- the comparability of the academic achievement of students with those in other higher education providers;
- good practice and innovation relating to learning, teaching and assessment;
- potential opportunities to enhance the quality of learning opportunities offered to students.