- Communicates regularly with colleagues in peer communities within and outside the University on research topics.
- Communicates with research team on current and future research activity requirements.
- Collects information from participants during research activity.
- Communicates with academic and administrative colleagues within the University and externally on matters related to the research processes.
- Contributes as part of the research team to the design and implementation of research methodologies including for example the writing of questionnaires.
- Keeps accurate records, prepares reports and/or publications as appropriate and make presentations at a variety of meetings both in the University and externally.
- Collaboratively writes proposals for research grant submissions, publications and conference papers to disseminate research findings.
Postdoctoral Research Assistant role profile (grade 7)
- Contributes collaboratively to research projects as part of the research team.
- Develops productive and effective working relationships with academic, administrative and research colleagues stakeholders and partners.
- Contributes collaboratively to projects at School, department or subject area level.
- Coaches and mentors post graduate/PHD students.
- Plans own workload within parameters of overall research activity plan.
- Often required to work independently on research projects without daily supervision.
- Often required to plan physical resources months ahead e.g. cell growth predictability, consumables for experiments.
Working independently is required to:
- Design and test appropriate research tools e.g. questionnaires.
- Gathers data from multiple sources as part of research activity.
- Makes significant contribution to analysis and evaluation using a range of analytical tools for example descriptive statistics, reliability and factor analysis.
- To keep accurate laboratory records, assist in the preparation of reports and/or publications as appropriate and make presentations at a variety of meetings both in the University and externally
- Conduct literature searches as appropriate.
- Makes significant contribution to writing up and disseminating research findings via networks and appropriate publications.
In addition to the above expectations, to be appointed on Grade 8 salary, it is essential that PDRAs should be able to demonstrate all of the following as requirements of their role:
- Accountability for coaching/mentoring of PhD students.
- Assisting as named author in publication of research, where the quality could be RAE returnable.
- Formal responsibility to teach as part of the curriculum.