Student visa holders - students employed by the University

If you are studying in the UK on a Student 4 visa you can usually work but with restrictions on the type of work and amount of work you can do. These usually include a maximum of 20 hours (10 hours a week if you are studying a course that is below foundation degree level) a week paid work during semester-time.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your work never compromises your studies nor the conditions of your visa. There are very clear restrictions on working during semester time and the University scrutinises claims/hours of work to ensure compliance. Failure to adhere to the conditions of your visa could have a significant impact upon your ability to continue studying with the University.

I have a job offer from the University, what will happen next?

You will need to show your proof of eligibility to your manager or People Directorate before you start work. A copy of your Student visa will be taken and once this proof has been established you will be eligible to start work. Please note that under no circumstances can you start work until proof of eligibility has been secured and verified.

You will be sent a contract of employment by People Directorate which will set out the terms and conditions of your employment. Confirmed in this contract is that you must never work hours in excess of those permitted by your visa. During semester time that is 20 hours per week or 10 if your course of study is below degree level. This includes all work internally and externally to the University.

When you come to claim for the work you have undertaken you will download a claim form. Please read the important notes that accompany the form as well as noting the acceptance and declaration you will sign, as this is a binding commitment that you have read and understood all the terms of your claim. This includes limits on weekly hours during semester time.   

Can I switch to working for the University on a Skilled Worker visa?

If you’re currently in the UK on a Student visa and you want to switch to a Skilled Worker visa you can find further information on the government website.

Where can I get more information?

The UK Council for International Student Affairs has very good up to date information for a broad range of areas of interest to Student visa holders including employment.