Enrolment and fees

  • All new research students need to complete an enrolment form to enrol as a student of the University. Enrolment is a prerequisite to application for registration for a University research degree, and you will need to sign the enrolment forms and maintain your enrolment every year until conferment of your degree.

    Enrolment will take place with the Research Degrees Team, Student Central, Room 3, John Henry Brookes Building, Headington Campus, Gipsy Lane from 9.00am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday during the week beginning Monday 22 January 2018.

    We will open until 6.30pm on Wednesday 24 January 2018 for students who are unable to come to the University during office hours.

    When you come to enrol you will be asked to complete a course enrolment form. We will provide you with a brief induction to the programme and support available for research students and will process the form, advise you about payment of fees and issue you with your Brookes student card. This will be your evidence that you are a student and entitle you to borrow books from the Library, activate your computer account and provide access to University facilities.

    If you are in doubt about anything in these instructions regarding enrolment, please email researchenrolment@brookes.ac.uk or telephone the Research Degrees Team on +44 (0) 1865 483869 or  +44 (0)1865 484244

    Research student enrolment dates for academic year 2017/2018

    • April 2018 enrolment
      Enrolment will take place between Monday 8 – Friday 13 April 2018
  • You are required to provide proof of your higher education qualifications upon entry to the research degree programme (ie first degree, postgraduate or professional qualifications).

    Please make sure you bring the original certificate or a certified copy with you when you come to enrol.

    You are not an enrolled student of the University until your fees are paid. It is the University's policy to exclude any student who defaults on the payment of fees. Details of full-time and part-time research degree fees for the next academic year can be found at:  /studying-at-brookes/finance/

    If you are a member of staff who is being funded by the University,  This should be done in consultation with your Line Manager and you must raise this as part of your annual PDR.  If agreed, you will then be required to make an application for Staff Development Funding.   Written confirmation that the fees will be paid from the Staff Development Fund and a charge code must be provided as part of the annual enrolment process and enrolment will not be completed until the financial part has been completed.

    Once approved you should email a copy of the confirmation notification to the Research Degrees Administrator: researchemrolment@brookes.ac.uk

    Fees may be paid as part of a University funded Studentship and this will be organised by the Research Degrees Team as part of enrolment.

    Students in receipt of sponsorship from an employer, Funding Council or other sponsorship

    If you are receiving a grant to cover the fees from a Research Council or other grant-awarding body, details of the funding will have been sent to you in your offer letter.

    If your fees are being paid by your employer or another sponsor, you must bring a letter from them confirming the sponsorship. If there is subsequently any difficulty in the University obtaining payment of the fees, you will be required to pay the fees yourself on demand and to reclaim the money from the awarding body when the details of your grant or sponsorship are settled.

    Self funded students

    If you are responsible for payment of your fees, you must pay them as part of enrolment.

    Self-financed students in good financial standing are able to pay by credit/debit card at Student Central or by phone with Student Finance, via PiP or Bank transfer, once your academic enrolment has been completed.  Payment must be received to complete  enable you to enrol.

    If you are unable to pay your fees by the methods indicated above then it is possible to pay in full by cheque. Cheques should be made payable to Oxford Brookes University. We cannot accept post dated cheques.

    Your library/ID card will include a digital image of you. You are required to email a passport sized photograph to researchenrolment@brookes.ac.uk prior to enrolment so that the card can be made up ready for your arrival. If you have not sent a photo prior to arriving for enrolment you will have to go and have your photograph taken manually and the card will be made up after enrolment.

    All International students should bring their passport, visa/Biometric Card and where applicable ID cards with them to enrolment because the University is required to keep scanned copies of these documents as part of the UKVI regulations.

    Please ensure that when you come to enrol you have the following:


    1. a) credit/debit card details or bank account details for a direct debit mandate;

          b) authorised staff development funding application; 

          c) evidence that you have been awarded a studentship; or

          d) a letter from your employer or sponsor confirming that they will be paying your fees if they want to be invoiced directly by the Income Office;


    2. your degree qualifications as stated on your application form;

    3. all International students must bring their Passport, Visa/Biometric Card and where applicable your ID Card.


    Please note you will be expected to keep your library card for the duration of your research degree programme. You will, however, be required to check your enrolment record and complete fee enrolment on an annual basis in September.