Dr Margaret M Hanson
Dip COT, MSc. PG Dip Statistics. Ed.D.
Senior Lecturer in Occupational Therapy
Department of Sport, Health Sciences and Social Work
My main role is teaching and visiting occupational therapy students on practice placements students. I am the subject coordinator for the MSc pre-registration degree in occupational therapy. I am also involved in recruitment activities and in the general support and direction of both the BSc and MSc degree occupational therapy programmes we offer here at Oxford Brookes University.
Areas of expertise
- Research methods and medical statistics
- Occupational therapy theory and skills for physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Accreditation and approval of occupational therapy education programmes in the UK and Ireland.
- International recognition of occupational therapy qualifications.
Teaching and supervision
- Human Performance and Function
- Occupational therapy for participation across the Lifespan
- Research methods (MSc level)
- Contexts of occupational therapy practice
- Advancing occupational therapy in different contexts
- Module Leader of the Masters level dissertation module
Teaching of Undergraduate and Master's level occupational therapy students
- Year 1 students - Occupational therapy theory skills such as hand and arm function assessment, posture, wheelchair skills and orthotics. Research methods to MSc students.
- Year 2 and 3 students - Occupational therapy theory and skills for physical medicine and rehabilitation. I teach specialist practice in areas such as vocational rehabilitation and spinal cord injuries, as well as research methods teaching and dissertation supervision. I assist student in the preparation for getting professional registration in the UK, Ireland, Canada and the USA.
Supervision of occupational therapy students doing research as part of their Bachelors and Master’s degrees in occupational therapy and students on the MSc degree in Rehabilitation.
Research grants and awards
- ESRC award to study for a post graduate certificate in medical statistics at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
- Royal College of Occupational Therapy (RCOT) Farrer -Brown Professional Development Award to support my Doctorate in Education (Ed.D) studies at Oxford Brookes University.
Memberships of professional bodies
- Royal College of Occupational Therapy (RCOT)
- Health and Care Professional Council (HCPC)
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT)
- External education and accreditation panel member - Association of Occupational Therapists in Ireland (AOTI)
- Education Assessor for the recognition of international qualifications at the Health and Social Care Porfessions Council - Ireland (CORU)
- Education partner for the approval of occupational therapy degress- Health and Care Porfessions Council (HCPC) till 2016.
- Work experience as a occupational therapist in the area of physical medicine and rehabilitation in Ireland, Northern Ireland and Canada.