A useful guide to help you identify the right contact within the People Directorate to gain any advice and support you need.
Supporting all administration work and queries covering the full employment life cycle from recruitment and selection to resignation.
Management of the redeployment register and supporting managers with due process
Recruitment and Selection
- Provide advice and guidance on the recruitment and selection process to recruiting managers
- Place all adverts and liaise with advertising agency
- Administer all closing dates, invitations to interview, reference requests and interview packs for interview panels
- Issue contracts of employment (regular and hourly paid) and ensure all pre-employment checks are carried out
- Issue Certificate of Sponsorships (Skilled Worker)
- Offer advice and guidance regarding Right to Work and DBS checks
Employee lifecycle contract and pay administration
- Carry out all maternity, maternity support, adoption and shared parental leave meetings, offering advice and guidance on policy and process to all staff and managers
- Administer probation pass, confirmation to post correspondence
- Draft and issue all changes to contracts of employment e.g. change in hours/FTE,
- salary increases
- Update sickness records and answer related queries
- Process claims e.g. relocation and eyesight reimbursement
- Administer all allowances e.g. cycle scheme, nursery vouchers, additional annual leave
- Draft and issue all changes to contracts of employment e.g. changes to hours/FTE/working pattern
- Process career break and jury service requests
- Draft general correspondence e.g. mortgage and reference letters
- Process long service awards
- Co-ordinate and administer fixed term contract extensions and ceases
- Provide redundancy calculations
- Process resignations
People Data and People Systems
- All questions and queries for help should be submitted via Service Now and not by email.
- Assist with completion of Staff Request or progress of within People XD Staff Portal
- Assist with completion of Manager Requests within People XD Staff Portal
- Assist with issues relating to Absence Management within People XD Staff Portal
- Create new post numbers
- Create routine and bespoke People Data reports from the People XD system
People Managers and BP
Providing HR advice and solutions to build an effective high performing workforce & policy development
Employment Legislation and Policy Development
- Employment policy development & advice
- Advisory on employment law and related legislative changes
- Providing policy related training and briefing sessions
- Immigration (GTV and T5)
Performance, Capability, Conduct and Absence Policy Advice
- Probation, capability and performance improvement
- Advisory and management case support
- Using data to identify areas with high absence and performance concerns
Resourcing, Reward & Recognition
- Providing advice on workforce planning and resourcing strategies
- Job evaluation and grading panels
- Advising on the interpretation of terms and conditions of employment
- Involvement in strategic HR initiatives and related projects (TUPE)
- Negotiation, consultation and communication with trade unions
- Review and support management through individual and collective change initiatives
Workplace Wellbeing Support
- Mediation, arbitration and early conflict resolution advice
- Providing advice and support channels for staff wellbeing
Support by using a range of initiatives including the development of local People Plans which incorporate attraction & selection, succession planning, employee engagement, equality, diversity & inclusion, data insights and actions, and continuous organisational improvement
- To work at a strategic level, yet understand the operational elements and insights, to design and implement people plans and strategies in business areas.
- Work with senior leaders to help translate University strategy and the People & Culture strategy into local people plans.
- Work in partnership across the People Directorate, to develop, implement, and embed effective people strategies to ensure people plans are delivered.
- Identify and design solutions for improvements, utilising networks and key stakeholders, in particular working with colleagues in Organisational Effectiveness and Development.
- Support University initiatives through commercial awareness and external partnerships.