In order to recruit and retain key international staff, faculties and directorates may provide financial assistance to staff to cover immigration costs, as follows:
- Faculties and directorates may meet immigration costs (including the Immigration Health Surcharge) of staff and their dependents on initial appointment, in addition to relocation costs (which are subject to a maximum of £5,000). This would be up to a further £3,000.
- Faculties and directorates may meet the cost of Skilled Worker (previously known as Tier 2) visa renewals and applications for Indefinite Leave to Remain for existing staff and their dependants, where their skills and expertise are judged to be essential and/or not easily replaced.
- This policy is effective from 1 January 2018 (i.e. not retrospective).
- This policy will be kept under regular review and may be revised/withdrawn at any time.
- All payments are discretionary. To avoid doubt over what can be claimed, approval of the types of expenditure that will be approved must be obtained from the People Directorate before claims are submitted.