Entry requirements for Hong Kong and Macao

Academic entry requirements will vary between courses. Please check the individual course page and use the equivalency tables below to work out the specific requirements for your course.


Qualifications equivalent to UK A-levels:

Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE). The HKDSE requirements in the table can include the best three grades across both elective and compulsory modules (excluding Chinese, English and Liberal Studies in courses where we do not consider A Level General Studies). Please see information with regards to English and Maths below the table.

HKDSE equivalencies

A-level requirementHKDSE grades (exclusions above apply)
EE332 (or Pass Form 5 of HKDSE with 444)

HKDSE Mathematics Compulsory equivalency to GCSE:

  • GCSE grade C / grade 4 equivalent: grade 2 from HKDSE

For courses that require A Level maths (for example Engineering, Maths, etc), you must have taken and scored 4 on the ‘extended maths’ module.

If you do not meet our minimum undergraduate requirements you may still be able to apply for one of our foundation courses.


Minimum entry requirements

Please check the individual course listing for the bachelor degree requirement and use the equivalency table below to work out your specific requirement. If you do not meet our minimum requirements you may still be able to apply for one of our pre-master’s courses.


Bachelor degree requirement Equivalent grading
2:1 (for direct entry) Second class Honours, upper division, GPA 2.7
2:2 (for direct entry) Second class Honours, lower division, GPA 2.4
Pass grade (for a pre-master’s course) Pass, GPA 1.7

Additional information

Minimum English language requirements

One of the following:

Equivalent academic qualifications can be accepted and we are happy to consider applicants on a case by case basis. Please contact our admissions team if you wish to discuss your specific qualifications.

Progression agreements

Working closely with our partners, we have been able to provide progression routes for students from institutions in Hong Kong. Visit our Progression Partners webpage for more information.