Step 1 - Watch our information sessions
This academic year, our information sessions and events will be exclusively online.
We expect you to watch at least one of our information sessions before applying to go on exchange.
You will find the list of these sessions below:
Watch our pre-recorded sessions anytime, anywhere and find out more about the application process, sources of funding, costs, our partner universities and hear from Brookes students who went on exchange in 2020/21.
General info session
Europe info session
North America info session
Oceania/Asia/Latin America info session
Step 2 - Choose your exchange institution
Step 3 - Complete your Oxford Brookes exchange application
The first round of applications (exchanges taking place in the academic year 2022/23) will open on 21 January 21 2022 and close on 11 February 2022.
Access the online application portal.
What to do when applications re-open?
- Check you have a GPA of 2.5 or above on your Student Records and Results page (more information about your GPA at this link)
- Watch our video tutorials explaining how to complete an online application form and submit your supporting documents
- Complete an online application form. If you are applying for an Erasmus (European) exchange AND an International (Non-European) exchange, you need to complete two separate applications.
- Upload your three supporting documents:
1. Screenshot of your results page
2. Personal statement
3. Faculty Approval form signed by your exchange/subject coordinator (form available to download from your workflow – see video tutorial part 2)
Important: don’t leave it too late! It may take some time for your subject/exchange coordinator to review your application and sign your Faculty Approval Form.
Step 4 - Complete your host university application
Either your host university or Brookes Exchanges Team will email you with your host university’s application information and the deadline for completion.
Planning your programme of study abroad
The Exchange or Subject Coordinator will need to approve the modules you plan to take during your exchange. They must sign the learning agreement and approve the level and content of your proposed module choices.
- The requirements of your course may include compulsory and honours modules.
- You will need to enrol for the equivalent of 30 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) for one semester workload or 60 ECTS for a whole academic year.
- Choose at least 2 additional modules as backup per semester (if possible).
- Please remember, at the time of application, some host universities may not have a definite list of modules that will run in your chosen semester.
- For more information, please see our Modules and Credits page.
In most cases you will need an up-to-date Oxford Brookes transcript for your host university application. The Oxford Brookes Exchanges Office will liaise with Student Central to obtain this document on your behalf. This will be free of charge and will be emailed to you by the Exchanges team.
Step 5 - Before your exchange
- You must attend a Getting Started Briefing and a Pre-Departure briefing session for nominated students. We will email the dates and other details to you nearer the time.