Dr Sarah Hennelly
PhD, MRes Psychology, PGDip Psychology, BA(Hons) Economics
Lecturer in Public Health and Subject Coordinator for Public Health and Global Public Health Leadership
Department of Psychology, Health and Professional Development
I teach on the Public Health master’s programmes.
Areas of expertise
- Health behaviours and developing theory based behaviour change interventions
- Mindfulness-based interventions; Conscious Dance
- Community wellbeing
- UK military Reservists and their families
- Mental health
- The potential impact of parents' mental health during pregnancy and childhood on their children's outcomes and resilience.
Teaching and supervision
- Foundations in Public Health
- Public Health Policy
- Communicable Diseases
- Community Empowerment and Advocacy
- Advanced Health Promotion
- Global Health Leadership Project
Module leader; creating and teaching synchronous and asynchronous lectures, workshops, and seminars; marking and providing feedback on formative and summative assessments.
My interests focus on improving the health and wellbeing of the population through prevention and intervention.
Research group membership
- The Centre for Psychological Research
- Children and Young People's Research Network
- Healthy Aging the Arts, Media, and Creative Industries Research Network
- Applied Social Psychology Group.
- Conscious Dance Research Network
- Emerging Minds Research Group
- Oxford Social Prescribing Network.
Research grants and awards
- Lennon, O., Beck, A., (Syndeo Ltd) with Ehrlich, C., Davies, E.L., & Hennelly, S.E. (Oxford Brookes). Innovate UK Smart Grants/Northern Ireland Department for the Economy: £212,323. University wellbeing Artificial Intelligence, awarded August 2021.
- Oxford Brookes University PhD funding.
My current studies include the development of a wellbeing chatbox for undergraduate students, and the wellbeing impact of community activity groups, particularly conscious dance, and other holistic movement practices.
Previous research includes mixed methods investigations of: university students' attitudes to stepping in to help their peers if they witness assault and harassment; the welfare needs of military families; how military activities can impact young people from disadvantaged backgrounds; the effects of mindfulness training in pregnancy and in schools; the effectiveness of brief online alcohol interventions on UK university students' alcohol consumption and harms; and developing theory-based behaviour change interventions.
Centres and institutes
Projects as Co-investigator
- University Well-Being AI - Lead Syndeo Ltd (led by OBBS)(15/08/2021 - 28/02/2023), funded by: Technology Strategy Board (Innovate UK), funding amount received by Brookes: £13,772, funded by: Technology Strategy Board (Innovate UK)
Laird KT, Vergeer I, Hennelly S, Siddarth P, 'Conscious dance: Perceived benefits and psychological well-being of participants'
Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice 44 (2021)
ISSN: 1744-3881 eISSN: 1873-6947Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Davies EL, Hussain S, Brooke JM, Hale T, Cadle M, Hennelly SE, 'Taking action in student harassment situations: application of the Behaviour Change Wheel to bystander intervention '
Violence and Victims 37 (1) (2021) pp.116-140
ISSN: 0886-6708 eISSN: 1945-7073Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Hennelly, SE, Perman-Howe, P, Foxcroft DF, Smith LA, 'The feasibility of "Mind the Bump": a mindfulness-based maternal behaviour change intervention'
Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice 40 (2020)
ISSN: 1744-3881 eISSN: 1873-6947Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Hennelly SE, Hussain S, Hale T Cadle M, Brooke J, Davies EL, 'University student attitudes to prosocial bystander behaviours'
Health Education 119 (5/6) (2019) pp.408-424
ISSN: 0965-4283 eISSN: 1758-714XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Davies EL, Lewis E-B C, Hennelly SE, '"I am quite mellow but I wouldn't say everyone else is”: how UK students compare their drinking behaviour to their peers’'
Substance Use & Misuse 53 (9) (2018) pp.1549-1557
ISSN: 1082-6084 eISSN: 1532-2491Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Davies EL, Law C, Hennelly SE, '"You have to be prepared to drink" : students’ views about reducing excessive alcohol consumption at university'
Health Education 118 (1) (2017) pp.2-16
ISSN: 0965-4283Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Davies EL, Law C, Hennelly SE, Winstock AR, 'Acceptability of targeting social embarrassment in a digital intervention to reduce student alcohol consumption: A qualitative think aloud study.'
Digital Health 3 (2017)
ISSN: 2055-2076 eISSN: 2055-2076Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Davies EL, Lonsdale A, Hennelly S, Winstock A, Foxcroft D, 'Personalized digital interventions showed no impact on risky drinking in young adults: a pilot randomised controlled trial'
Alcohol and Alcoholism 52 (6) (2017) pp.671-676
ISSN: 0735-0414 eISSN: 1464-3502Published here Open Access on RADAR
Kuyken W, Weare K, Ukoumunne OC, Vicary R, Motton N, Burnett R, Cullen C, Hennelly S, Huppert F, 'Effectiveness of the Mindfulness in Schools Programme: non-randomised controlled feasibility study'
The British Journal of Psychiatry 203 (2) (2013) pp.126-131
ISSN: 0007-1250 eISSN: 1472-1465Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Chartered member of the British Psychological Society (BPS).
- Fellow of Advance HE (formerly HEA)
- Psychology Post Graduate Affairs Group (PsyPAG) Committee Representative for the West Midlands Branch 2013-2015.
- Invited judge at the Faculty’s 2019 PhD symposium.
- Member of: the BPS Division of Health Psychology (DHP); UK Society for Behavioural Medicine (UKSBM); International Society of Behavioural Medicine; European Society for Prevention Research (EUSPR).
- Hennelly, S.E.: The Feasibility of Mind the Bump: a Mindfulness-based Maternal Behaviour Change Intervention. UK Society for Behavioural Medicine 15th Annual Scientific Meeting, Bath, January 2020.
- Hennelly, S.E., Hussain, S., Hale, T. Brooke, J., & Davies, E.L.: UK university student attitudes to prosocial bystander behaviours. European Society for Prevention Research (EUSPR) conference, Ghent, September 2019.
- Connelly, V., Fear, N., Morrison, Z., Hennelly, S., & Smith, J.: Reservist families and their understanding of military welfare support as a (non) military family has been accepted by the European Research Group on Military and Society (ERGOMAS) conference, Lisbon, June 2019.
- Hennelly, S.E: Measuring the effects of Mindfulness in Schools Project programmes: Building a Research Design. Mindfulness in Education Conference, London, January 2016.
- Hennelly, S.E, Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mind the Bump: Mindfulness and Antenatal Health Behaviours. British Psychological Society West Midlands Branch Annual Conference, Coventry, September 2015.
- Hennelly, S.E.: Mind the Bump: Mindfulness and Antenatal Health Behaviours, Psychology Post Graduate Affairs Group (PsyPAG) Annual Conference, Glasgow, July 2015.
- Hennelly, S.E.: Mindfulness and Lifestyle during Pregnancy. Society for the Prevention of Addictions and Oxford Brookes University Annual Symposium for PhD students. Oxford, June 2014.
- Hennelly, S.E., Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mind over Maternity: the Associations between Health-Related Behaviours and the Psychological Characteristics of Mood and Mindfulness during Pregnancy. Oxford Brookes University Postgraduate conference, Oxford, January 2013.
- Hennelly, S.E.: Mindfulness in Oxfordshire schools: outcomes from focus groups. Mindfulness in Schools Conference, Tonbridge, March 2011.
- Hennelly, S.E., Hussain, S., Hale, T. Brooke, J., & Davies, E.L.: Stand by or step up? Exploring student attitudes to intervening in harassment and assault. UK Society for Behavioural Medicine 15th Annual Scientific Meeting, Bath, January 2020.
- Hennelly. S.E., Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mindfulness and Maladaptive maternal health Behaviours: Prevention or Cure? European Society for Prevention Research, Berlin, November 2016.
- Davies, E.D. & Hennelly. S.E.: The Effects of Brief Alcohol Interventions on Young Adults’ Drinking. European Society for Prevention Research, Berlin, November 2016.
- Hennelly. S.E. & Smith, L.A.: Associations between Mood, Mindfulness and Health-Risk Behaviours during Pregnancy. International Marce Society Conference on Frontiers in Perinatal Mental Health. Melbourne, September 2016.
- Hennelly, S.E., Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mindfulness and Antenatal Health Behaviours: Developing and Evaluating a Mindfulness-Based Intervention. British Psychological Society Division of Health Psychology, London, September 2015.
- Hennelly, S.E., Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mind the Bump: a Novel Mindfulness-Based Complex Intervention to Optimise Women’s Health-Related Behaviours During Pregnancy. British Psychological Society Annual Conference, Birmingham, July 2014.
- Hennelly, S.E., Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mind over Maternity: Mindfulness, Mood and Health Behaviours During Pregnancy. Oxford Brookes Postgraduate Conference, Oxford, January 2014.
- Hennelly, S.E., Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mind over Maternity: Associations Between Mindfulness, Mood and Health Behaviours during Pregnancy. Centre for Mindfulness Practice and ResearchConference Chester, March 2013.
- Hennelly, S.E., Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mind the Bump: Mindfulness, Mood and Health-Risk Behaviours During Pregnancy. Psychology Post Graduate Affairs Group (PsyPAG) Annual Conference, Lancaster, July 2013.
- Hennelly, S.E., Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mind over Maternity study: Associations Between Dispositional Mindfulness and Mood with Health-Related Behaviours During Pregnancy. UK Society for Behaviour Medicine (UKSBM) Conference, Oxford, June 2013.
- Hennelly, S.E., Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mind the Bump study: Investigating the Associations Between Taking Part in a Mindfulness Course During Pregnancy, and Ability to Adhere to Autonomous Health-Related Goals. UK Society for Behaviour Medicine (UKSBM)Conference, Oxford, June 2013.
- Hennelly, S.E., Foxcroft, D., & Smith, L.A.: Mind over Maternity: are Mindfulness and Mood Associated with Unhealthy Behaviours During Pregnancy? European Society for Prevention Research, Krakow, December 2012.
Research consultant to the Mindfulness in Schools Project and the Institute for Statecraft's Shared Outcomes project.
Syndicate Manager at Lloyd's of London, specialising in aviation underwriting and reinsurance.