Staff Harassment Advisers

Staff Harassment Advisers (SHAs) are staff who have volunteered their time to provide an information service to staff who feel they are experiencing (or have witnessed) unwanted behaviour as well as to staff who have been accused of unwanted behaviour. The same adviser will not provide support to both the complainant and the alleged perpetrator.

Staff Harassment Adviser:

  • Provides an impartial and confidential listening ear outside of the usual university structures and services;
  • Provides information on the options that are available;
  • Assists those seeking advice in thinking those options through, but respects the wishes of the member of staff.

A Staff Harassment Adviser cannot:

  • Make judgements about the legitimacy of a complaint or act as an investigator (staff nominated by the People Directorate would undertake any formal investigations);
  • Provide counselling. If the SHA feels a member of staff might benefit from counselling, they can signpost them to the Occupational Health Service;
  • Act as an advocate – they provide informal support only and cannot meet with other parties to the situation;
  • Meet with members of staff outside of office hours or outside of the university premises. Online meetings can be set up using the University Google Meet facilities.

Contacting a Staff Harassment Adviser

Details of the SHAs are given below (staff are based at the Headington Campus unless otherwise indicated). You can contact one of the SHAs directly in confidence. They work on a cross-University basis, so you do not have to contact someone from your own faculty or directorate.

NameEmail addressRole
Ruth Collins
Head of Partnership Student Information Management, Academic and Student Administration
Vicki Liaison Librarian, Health and Life Sciences
Wes, School of Law, Humanities and Social Sciences
Judie of Digital Programmes (OBBS)
Sara Dean Strategy and Development (OBBS)
Aindreas O’ of Mental Health and Wellbeing Support, Academic and Student Administration
Warren Rö Investigation and Resolution Officer (ASA)
Sarah in Politics, Humanities and Social Sciences

Additional points of contact

If you are a member of a trade union, you can seek advice, support and representation from your TU representative.  Recognised unions for Oxford Brookes are UCU and UNISON.

For general advice, you can also contact your link in the People Directorate.