Student casuals

The University is committed to supporting the employment of students where this is practicable and does not act to the detriment of their studies. Equally the employment of students is not designed to disadvantage the contractual rights of existing staff or lead to a ‘casualisation’ of the workforce.

If there is work to be undertaken and it is appropriate and practicable for students to undertake it, then Faculties and Directorates should contact the JobTeaser database which is run by the Careers Department. This database contains vacancies that student and graduates can search. Managers can upload their vacancies free of charge and registration and posting of vacancies is a quick and straightforward process.

Please note if you plan to recruit an international student (non EU) there are strict conditions on the type of work and number of hours that can be undertaken while studying in the UK. Recruiting managers have the responsibility for checking this by following the information provided on the above link and checking if the student has other contracts of employment within the University:

Students will be paid the same rates of pay and given the same conditions of service as any other person who would have been employed in the same circumstances.

Student Visa holder restrictions

Please see the immigration guidance pages for full information.

In general, a Student Visa Holder student studying a degree-level programme (or one on a Study Abroad Programme) is permitted to work for a maximum of 20 hours a week during term-time and full-time during vacation periods.

Managers are responsible for ensuring that Student Visa Holder students do not work over these hours, bearing in mind that a student may have more than one contract and work for two different Faculties or Directorates or work outside the University. HR actively monitor that these restrictions are adhered to.

How to raise a contract

Department Head/ Programme Lead
  • Write a job description if no generic JD (liaise with link HR Manager for grading)
  • Discuss and agree offer of work with individual and request proof of eligibility to work in UK if progressing
  • Raise Staff Request attaching proof of eligibility work in the UK
    See also: Guidance for managers: completing the online recruitment form
  • Provide individual with vacancy ID and staff request number and ask them to complete a recruitment form via the University vacancies pages.
HR Recruitment Team
  • Issue contract on receipt of approved staff request and full documentation
  • The contract will be emailed to individuals Brookes email account.
Line Manager
  • Induct individual, including ensuring individual is able to access Brookes systems as appropriate
  • Ensure individual as entered bank details via HR staff portal

Note: Students are normally issued with a student contract for one academic year (September to July), as students frequently undertake a variety of casual work throughout the academic year.

How to make a claim