- A “variable hours” contract is for posts for which there is an ongoing requirement but the actual numbers of hours are likely to vary over time.
- The variable hours contract has no specific minimum number of hours, and no pay is guaranteed in any given period.
- Permanent variable hours contracts will normally be advertised externally.
- Whether a temporary variable hours contract is subject to the usual external recruitment process will depend on the duration of the contract, and the likely number of hours per week, Managers should discuss this with their link HR team.
- Similarly, a formal probation period, will depend on the duration of the contract and the likely number of hours per week.
- A Job description is required to determine the appropriate grade and rate of pay. Some generic job descriptions are available, please speak to the HR recruitment team.
- Variable hours staff will benefit from the same benefits as those staff on a similar grade.
- Variable hours staff will be able to claim for holiday pay via the claim form. Holiday pay can be claimed as hours are worked, or holiday pay can be accrued to claim together when not at work.
|Department Head/ Programme Lead|
|HR Recruitment Team|