The sustainable food agenda has always been important at Oxford Brookes. We recognise the importance of providing healthy food. As well as the environmental, economic and social impacts surrounding food systems.
Gather & Gather, our catering partners, were awarded 3 stars in the Sustainable Restaurant Association ‘Food Made Good’ program for their commitments to sustainability.
Key contract drivers are to promote healthy and sustainable food options at Brookes. This includes:
- actively sourcing locally grown produce
- promoting seasonal foods
- maintaining sustainable food and animal welfare accreditations such as Fairtrade
- reducing waste across the offering
- delivering greenhouse gas emission reductions.
We are proud to be a Fairtrade University. This enables us to make a positive contribution to developing countries by:
- offering better prices
- providing decent working conditions
- providing local sustainability and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers.
We also work closely with ‘Good Food Oxford’ and are signatories to the ‘Good Food Oxford Pledge’. We aim to catalyse actions by individuals and organisations that promote a healthy, fair, ethical and environmentally sustainable food system in and around Oxford. And we encourage our community to get involved in local projects.
In line with the latest research we are moving away from a vegan framing approach. This means that Instead of a separate vegan catering outlet, we will embed vegan and vegetarian offerings across all our menus.