In some circumstances you may need to use libraries other than our own. Your Academic Liaison Librarian will be pleased to help and advise you.
Bodleian Libraries - information for Oxford Brookes staff and students
The Bodleian Library is the main research library of the University of Oxford.
It is also a copyright deposit library, which means that a copy of all British publications should be deposited in its collections by the publisher under copyright law. The Bodleian Libraries Group includes, amongst many others, the (central) Bodleian Library, Radcliffe Science Library, Sackler Library and the Bodleian Social Science Library.
Use SOLO - the catalogue of the major collections of the University of Oxford - to find out what is available.
For more information about the Bodleian Library visit their webpages.
How to apply for a Bodleian Reader card
Research students and staff: apply directly online to the Bodleian Admissions Office for a Reader card.
Undergraduate students and all taught postgraduate students: apply for summer 2022 vacation access following the guidance for Students at other universities
SCONUL Access Scheme
The SCONUL Access Scheme is a reciprocal scheme which allows many university library users to borrow or use books and journals at other libraries which belong to the scheme. The scheme covers most of the university libraries in the UK and Ireland. Check whether the university library you wish to use is part of the scheme and apply to use on the SCONUL Access webpages.
M25 Consortium Libraries
Access25 is the M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries' scheme which allows mutual access to more than 50 libraries in London and south east England. Brookes postgraduate research students and staff are eligible to join the scheme. Other Brookes students are recommended to use the SCONUL Access Scheme instead.
Oxfordshire History Centre (pre-booking recommended)
The Oxfordshire History Centre, run by Oxfordshire County Council, looks after historic documents relating to the county from about 1150 to the present day. It is located at St Luke's Church, Temple Road, Cowley. If you wish to look at original records, you will need to register for a County Archive Research Network (CARN) ticket.
Other Library catalogues
Most university websites include a link to their library catalogue, or these services may be helpful:
- SOLO - the catalogue of the major collections of the University of Oxford.
- British Library Main Catalogue
- Library Hub Discover search provides a means of searching the Library catalogues of more than 100 major UK and Irish libraries, including the British Library, many university libraries and specialist research libraries.
- LibrarySearch can search more than 10,000 worldwide libraries if you choose to search beyond Oxford Brookes or explore deeper into the lists of all editions and formats.
- MASC25 (Mapping Access to Special Collections in the London Region) is an online resource guide to printed special collections in some university libraries in the M25 Consortium.