The nursery has a proven record of delivering high-quality childcare. We are committed to ensuring that we provide a happy and secure environment where children flourish whilst developing the life-long tools for learning.
Our belief is that children learn best when they are engaged in independent play where their levels of involvement are at their highest. We therefore encourage the children to be independent learners with the support of skilled staff who can scaffold their learning.
We have lots of opportunities for child-initiated play within a varied and stimulating environment, introducing more adult-led activities for the older children.
Our strong key person approach is at the heart of our practice providing essential secure attachments for each child to feel protected and safe, giving them the confidence to explore and learn.
The nursery benefits from having a purpose-built building situated in the idyllic, wooded location of the University’s Clive Booth site.
- Two large play areas offer abundant opportunities for physical play and outdoor exploration with the willow dome and trees providing summer shade.
- The adjacent wooded area provides an ideal site for Forest School activities, led by our qualified Forest School leader and assistant.
The core nursery day runs from 8.30am to 5.25pm. Parents are also able to book and pay for an additional half hour at either end of the day to further extend the session if needed. There is a choice of attending either full day or half day sessions but a minimum booking of 4 sessions a week is required.
- Morning sessions run from 8.30am to 1.00pm and include morning snack and lunch.
- Afternoon sessions run from 1.00pm until 5.25pm and include tea.
The nursery is open for approximately 47 weeks of the year with the main closures being the last two weeks in August and in between Christmas and New Year, along with bank holidays and three staff training days. Fees are not applicable for planned nursery closures.
Nursery closure dates: August 2022 to August 2023
- 14 - 29 August 2023: Summer break (including a bank holiday and concessionary day)
- 25 December 2023 - 1 January 2024: Christmas break (including bank holidays)
- 26 January 2024: Training day
- 29 March 2024 - 2 April 2024: Easter break (bank holidays and concessionary day)
- 6 May 2024: Bank holiday
- 27 May 2024: Bank holiday
- 28 June 2024: Training day
- 19 August 2024 - 2 September 2024: Summer break (including a bank holiday and concessionary day)
Days with early closure times
- 15 December 2023: Christmas party (close at 4.00pm)
- 7 June 2024: Fun day (close at 4.00pm)
The nursery is run by a team of professionally qualified staff, chosen for their passion for childcare and commitment to developing the individual needs of the children. All key staff have a level 3 qualification as a minimum with five staff being graduates, two of whom also have Early Years Professional Status, with one also having QTS. Staff are well supported through ongoing training programmes to ensure their continuing professional development and that the high nursery standards are maintained.
Most key staff have a 4.5 day working pattern relinquishing the need for them to work shifts meaning they are available for their key children and families at the beginning and end of the day.
Staff turnover is extremely low, providing consistency of care and a high level of experience and skills. The average length of time for an individual member of the 17 staff who work with the children exceeds 9 years in our nursery alone.
“Play is the work of children.”
The nursery chef plans and provides a wholesome balanced diet in the fully-equipped nursery kitchen. The premises and practice have been awarded the maximum of five stars by Environmental Health.
The daily menu includes a morning snack, cooked lunch and afternoon tea and incorporates fresh fruit and vegetables. The babies are offered an individual weaning menu and special diets and allergies are also catered for.
Fresh drinking water is always available and all meals and snacks are inclusive.