Credit transfer

Ask a question

Did you know, you can join us part-way through a degree programme?

Most of our courses consider applications for entry part-way through the course for students who have credit from previous learning or relevant professional experience. You can apply for undergraduate or postgraduate programmes, and with varying levels of credit or qualification.

It can sometimes feel a bit complicated, so the information on this page is designed to help you understand which route might be right for you.

Do I qualify?

Your previous study, work experience and training can count as credit towards your degree. We encourage students of all ages and from all backgrounds to study with us and know that many people have made significant achievements either through work or private study.

1. Credit entry

Credit entry allows you to start an Oxford Brookes degree part way through by transferring credit you have achieved elsewhere.

Examples of credit you could transfer include:

  • partly completed UK degree qualifications studied at other universities or colleges,
  • higher education qualifications at lower levels than the course you are applying for. For example, HND, Foundation Degree, CertHE,
  • Open University courses,
  • a university degree from another country.

We work with organisations across the world to provide progression into Oxford Brookes courses. You can find a list of our progression agreements here.

2. Assessment of Prior Learning (APL)

The Assessment of Prior Learning (APL) is the accreditation of previously acquired certificated learning and it might include Open University modules or in-company training, for example.

Brookes recognises certain professional qualifications awarded by bodies such as the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), and the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

3. Assessment of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL)

The Assessment of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) recognises knowledge or skills acquired through life, work experience and study which has not been formally assessed through any academic or professional certification. It might include, for example, computer programming, editing skills or organisational skills.

Admission through credit via APL or APEL is a more complicated process in which the University will calculate the value of the knowledge you have gained through your work experience.

If you would like more information about whether or not you may be eligible for the award of credit, please contact our Admissions team.

How do I apply?

If you’re a student applying for a full time undergraduate course you should apply through UCAS.

If you’re applying for a taught postgraduate programme, a part-time programme at any level or if you’re an international student, you should apply via our direct application form.

Make sure you include all the modules you have studied or are currently studying elsewhere within the qualifications and personal statement section. More information and transcripts will be required once your application has been submitted.